E. rana prep

Ptychodus04

I spent an hour this evening working on the Eldregops rana trilobite from Penn Dixie that I received unprepared from @Kane. It is a beautiful partially enrolled specimen. Thanks Kane! There’s also a nice little horn coral next to it.

Here it is before:

E40601FB-016F-4914-8F5B-4B0E21FF39A6.thumb.jpeg.2f424f08c575115ccffe8f8bc7b1ae2c.jpeg

Nice job on the prep, Kris! Amazing job. 

I think we may need to work on your photo skills, however. :P 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

And after:

I love the detail on the glabella. Nice prep!:wub:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Fantastic work, Kris! :fistbump:

I'm glad you had a chance to do some prep for yourself since you're always so kind in doing it for others.

I am also very happy that it turned out complete as I wasn't sure if it would be!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Are these naturally that shiny or is that a result of the abrasive medium or a coating of something?

@WrangellianThese bugs can look very nice without abrasive finish, something I do not have. But a special sheen definitely occurs if you take the next step.

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice job on the prep, Kris! Amazing job. 

I think we may need to work on your photo skills, however. :P 

What? You don’t like my pictures? :P I guess I can’t be good at everything. 

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Are these naturally that shiny or is that a result of the abrasive medium or a coating of something?

They aren’t naturally quite this shiny. This one has some PVA on it because there were some cracks that needed to be addressed.

9 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Nice job! How long did it take to prep?

This took about 90 minutes.

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Prepping these bugs is a very thankful job, isn't it?

Very much so. 

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Fantastic work, Kris! :fistbump:

I'm glad you had a chance to do some prep for yourself since you're always so kind in doing it for others.

I am also very happy that it turned out complete as I wasn't sure if it would be!

It is a great bug. Thanks for sending it to me. I think this might be the first prep for my personal stuff of 2018! It is already happily residing on my trilobite shelf.

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

They aren’t naturally quite this shiny. This one has some PVA on it because there were some cracks that needed to be addressed.

OK, that is understandable.  :dinothumb:

Very nice job.

I find that the Penn material is actually quite shiney if you just give it a rub with a soft toothbrush and cotton cloth.

• I found this Informative 1

I suppose it looks alright if you like your bugs THAT lifelike.  "Good enough" I guess, if you're into the whole meticulous prep thing... :rofl:

On 11/28/2018 at 7:13 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I guess I can’t be good at everything. 

And did you seriously say you guess you can't be good at everything???  Is that why they make those Tams so big?? :D (and yes, I searched for the goofiest looking pic I could find :) )

Image result for scottish tam

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

13 hours ago, Walt said:

And did you seriously say you guess you can't be good at everything???  Is that why they make those Tams so big?? :D (and yes, I searched for the goofiest looking pic I could find :) )

It was said but but not even close to seriously. :P

Funny pic. I always pictured you as older than that. :rofl:

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Funny pic. I always pictured you as older than that

Yes, my Tam is gray but I am seeing a doctor later on today.... 

And nice work on the trilo, by the way.  Hope you know I was joking and are not planning to forge a new knife just to whack me with :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

14 minutes ago, Walt said:

And nice work on the trilo, by the way.  Hope you know I was joking and are not planning to forge a new knife just to whack me with :)

Thanks. Yes, of course all in good fun. :D I know how to take a joke; I wear kilts after all...