Dinosaur tooth from Wyoming, USA, need help

StefanD

I've gotten a tooth and need help to identify it. He should comes from Wyoming (Hell Creek Formation) and is about 4,3cm (1.7 inches) tall. A geologist said, he might have come from a Carcharodontosaurus, but he does not come from North America. This is also the brown-black color. Carcharodontosaurus is native to Africa and would rather have sand color. However, I'm not a paleontologist^^. The Nanotyrannosaurus could it also be, if the origin is right. Of course, I also hope that it is not a fake, because on the inside, is a purple spot to see and I've never seen that in a fossil. By weight, it comes in any case to an original. It would be great if you could help me. (By the way, the Seller said it is a animal in family of the Tyrannosauridae)

Bild1.jpg.e08f08a5147af6b9adedd9104815ecc0.jpgBild3.jpg.077505c6585c354ed594f00dc319970e.jpg

Bild2.thumb.jpg.8251275d216beb10e13729aa7d59bed7.jpg

Not a Carcharodontosaurus tooth. Can we see the cross section base of the tooth (see example of my tooth below)? I am leaning towards nano because of the base of the first pic but I may be wrong and therefore it would be good to see a photo of this to help me better ID? It would be helpful if you could get serration count from the seller as well.

20180601_192407edit.jpg

Please also check out Troodon's post on identifying teeth from this location:

• I found this Informative 4

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Based on the photos, I would lean towards it being a Nanotyrannus tooth as opposed to a trex tooth. One thing I can say for certain is that it is definitely not a fake tooth. Lets see what other people think on the forum in relation to the ID! :)

• I found this Informative 2

Definitely not a Carchardontosaurus tooth.  Not sure what this geologist was thinking! :D Also, Carchardontosaurus only comes from Africa.  

Your tooth definitely looks like a Nanotyrannus and that is what I think it is because it is tyrannosaur and has a box shaped cross-section.  It is too compressed to be a Rex tooth.  Nice tooth too and very real!

Many thanks for your help. I also thought, thats a Nanotyrannus. The seller wanted to say me, thats a rex, but i dont believed him, because its too small on base. The Rex tooth are more round in base or? Now i believe, i payed to much for it. How much would you mean, is the value?

12 minutes ago, StefanD said:

Many thanks for your help. I also thought, thats a Nanotyrannus. The seller wanted to say me, thats a rex, but i dont believed him, because its too small on base. The Rex tooth are more round in base or? Now i believe, i payed to much for it. How much would you mean, is the value?

Yes Rex more oval, nano is compressed. Unfortunately, not possible to value a tooth and we cannot discuss price on this area of the forum however feel free to message me on private message and I can let you know what I think? I have bought teeth in the past that are hugely overpriced but the more you research and the longer you collect fossils, the better you become at knowing when the asking price might be too high.

I wonder if the geologist was referring to Acrocanthosaurus a relative, I think, of Carcharodontosaurus. Remains of this particular dinosaur have been found in Wyoming. Tooth does look like a Nanotyrannus. 

• I found this Informative 1

I would guess nano for this one.  Just not robust like a rex.  It looks like there is a seller out there giving out bad info.  This is the second time recently that I have had to mention that there is no Hell Creek in Wyoming.  Here we call the same beds Lance Formation.  

Since public education is part of what we do here...

Lance Formation is the name of the latest Cretaceous dinosaur bearing rock unit in Wyoming.

In MT, SD, ND it is called Hell Creek Fm. 

In CO it iis called Laramie Fm.