Getting My Feet Wet In the Ordovician of Wisconsin and Iowa

RCFossils

45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Might be Hindia.

I hadn't considered that, but it does seem more likely in this case. Perhaps a close-up of the second piece near the bottom might clear this up. I am seeing what appear to be "dirty" sculptural pattern near the bottom that has a regular pattern that put me in mind of Cyclocrinites. From the Hindia I have seen in similar Ordovician strata, it would explain the effacement of features. But... I'm not sure if the pattern I'm seeing is an artifact of the camera or a feature that may be present. A closeup image of that, @RCFossils

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Great stuff RC!!! Familiar, yet different to what we "used" to find around here before the last accessible quarry stopped allowing collectors. I'll also add my vote into the Hindia camp for your spheres.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very nice haul of Ordovician material! It's almost as if you went back in time, cut out a portion of seabed and brought it back to us :D A wonderful snapshot of life in the Iapetus ocean!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

18 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Pretty sure they are not concretions.

They have all been nearly perfectly spherical.

Many concretions are perfect spheres. (moqui balls)

Would still like to see pictures from other angles than the one shown.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Great report and pics! You did really well with the trilobites! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Wisconsin, and I went fossil hunting near Fennimore at the Fennimore Formation last Fall with my college geology club. :) I’m going to have to post photos here when I finally get around to it. 

Amazing finds! I never found a trilobite, so I’m EXTREMELY jealous of you! Wow! :D 

• I found this Informative 1