FranzBernhard

Some Fossil Hunting in the Plabutsch-Formation of the Palaeozoic of Graz, Styria, Austria (Devonian – Eifelian)

FossilDAWG

:popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn:

Very nice report so far!  I especially like the Pachycanalicula.

Don

Tidgy's Dad

Excellent post, thus far. Nice maps, location photos and beautiful specimens. 

Puts those lovely auction specimens nicely into context. :)

:popcorn:

Ludwigia

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

FranzBernhard

A few months later, we are going smaller again! First a few pics from the hike to the same spot as above (a creek north of Hohe Rannach Mt.), about 1 km long. Photos from 09/23/2018.

View back, still very near the car.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b5c8bb6fa05eeaa9805e1c8963c66d8.jpeg

...on the way...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7b309ee85268b2a400d714f1feffa67.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.edb617c1e58528b289d0edefaab64353.jpeg

Now I am there, to the upper left the overexposed “Weiße Wand”, to the lower right the fossil site. It has changed…

image.thumb.jpeg.9264ceb760a5d6a7d18fdebba8e2bb17.jpeg

To be continued...

UtahFossilHunter

Looks like a beautiful place and a lot of fantastic fossils. Great report!

FossilDAWG

Thanks for the tour!

I would think with a transverse and a longitudinal section cut from a piece of that coral it should be possible to ID the genus and possibly the species.

Don

ynot

Very nice Franz.

goatinformationist

Fantastic travelogue with sharp data detailing.  Thanks so much for sharing with nice pics.

Monica

I love the 3D Striatopora? suessi and the Thamnopera-stromatoporid association piece - simply beautiful!!! :wub:

doushantuo

awesome thread,Franz

The photography is top notch

Agree with Monica,stunning items there

FranzBernhard
On 5.12.2018 at 7:46 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice report so far! 

On 5.12.2018 at 8:46 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent post, thus far.

On 6.12.2018 at 11:01 AM, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

22 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Looks like a beautiful place and a lot of fantastic fossils. Great report!

18 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Thanks for the tour!

16 hours ago, ynot said:

Very nice Franz.

13 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Fantastic travelogue with sharp data detailing.

4 hours ago, Monica said:

I love the 3D Striatopora? suessi and the Thamnopera-stromatoporid association piece - simply beautiful!!!

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

awesome thread,Franz

Thank you very much for all your interest and appreciation!
Franz Bernhard

FranzBernhard
18 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I would think with a transverse and a longitudinal section cut from a piece of that coral it should be possible to ID the genus and possibly the species.

Yes, it could be possible. But the local expert is somewhat uncertain about that. He thinks, it is too strongly recrystallized (as far as can be seen at the broken ends).

Franz Bernhard

FranzBernhard
4 hours ago, Monica said:

I love the 3D Striatopora? suessi and the Thamnopera-stromatoporid association piece - simply beautiful!!!

Yes, these polished slabs with so much red are really special for this formation. Usually, everthing is very dark grey... The association itself is not very uncommon, but always nice to find.

Franz Bernhard

Tidgy's Dad

Those corals are beautiful. 

And the scenery is stunning. :)

FranzBernhard
On 7.12.2018 at 3:56 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Those corals are beautiful.

I like them too, even in 2D.

On 7.12.2018 at 3:56 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

And the scenery is stunning.

Thats usual case here :). However, Morocco with Atlas mountains is also beautifull, but totally different. There are many, many nice places in this world.

Maybe I will post my todays trip in a few days (after I have posted some more fossils from the Plabutsch-formation), with some more scenery: Houses, streets, freeway, chimneys... ;).

Franz Bernhard

Tidgy's Dad

Indeed, Morocco is very beautiful. 

And it is a beautiful world. :)

Or at least those bits of it we haven't ruined yet. ;)

Wrangellian

I agree with the others on everything - good photography of scenery and specimens, and nice fossils, esp. the 3D coral but the weathered pieces are also nice to find. No back-breaking 'chain gang' work excavating them, and no gluing together broken fragments, either, I assume? ;) In your other thread about this location I was going to ask whether you had any exposures to find freshly exposed, unweathered fossils, but this thread answers that question.

Plantguy

Franz, thanks for the photos of the terrain and the fantastic finds. Remarkable preservation. Congrats!  Regards, Chris 

FranzBernhard
11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I agree with the others on everything - good photography of scenery and specimens, and nice fossils, esp. the 3D coral but the weathered pieces are also nice to find. No back-breaking 'chain gang' work excavating them, and no gluing together broken fragments, either, I assume? ;) In your other thread about this location I was going to ask whether you had any exposures to find freshly exposed, unweathered fossils, but this thread answers that question.

Thanks for your appreciation!

Correct, all of my specimens from the Plabusch-formation are just picked from the surface and sometimes a little bit cleaned with a soft brush, thats all.

There are several outcrops with fossil in this formation, but the fossils are usualy also 2D. I have only a very poor pic of a typical outcrop, with some corals, brachs and stromatoporids, but you can get the feeling, I think.

image.thumb.jpeg.c87087d0e637fe994c06fde990997766.jpeg

About 100-200 years ago, more than 100 quarries were oparating in this formation, producing building stones. Layers with siliciclastic components (schist layers) were dumped. And these dumps are the source of most of the 3D fossils, already more than 100 years ago, but even today. The local expert recovered most of his spectatcular 3D fossils from such quarry dumps. But this requieres at least some light digging...

He tried also some prep work on fresh specimens, but he was not very successfull. He says, better to let Mother Nature do the work...

10 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Franz, thanks for the photos of the terrain and the fantastic finds. Remarkable preservation. Congrats!  Regards, Chris

You are welcome, thanks for your appreciation!

Franz Bernhard