A Wander through a Colorful Landscape

DeepTimeIsotopes

Thanks for taking us to this virtual trip! Such a beautifull landscape, with formations beautifully exposed. And with wonderfull fossil wood.

Do you have seen this wood also in-situ, within the formation itself?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for taking us to this virtual trip! Such a beautifull landscape, with formations beautifully exposed. And with wonderfull fossil wood.

Do you have seen this wood also in-situ, within the formation itself?

Franz Bernhard

You’re welcome! This one is in-situ. The log extends down farther into the rock. There’s a small layer of sediment from the wash but it still is in the rock. The rock may look soft in the pictures but it is as hard as concrete in some places. In the Shinarump, I’ve seen wood still in the wall but it’s hard to get out of the rock as well. It’s so much easier and just as good to pick up the stuff Mother Nature has weathered out. 

9DA4A8BB-FB2E-400F-B1A2-1F43398E2D04.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Looked like an Awesome expedition among beautiful landscapes! Thanks for taking the time to post. Do you have to dig at all or is all the wood on the surface? What kind of trees is this from? I went to the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona and it was magnificent to see but you can't touch, lol.

Just now, Bronzviking said:

Looked like an Awesome expedition among beautiful landscapes! Thanks for taking the time to post. Do you have to dig at all or is all the wood on the surface? What kind of trees is this from? I went to the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona and it was magnificent to see but you can't touch, lol.

Every now and then the wood is still in the rock but it’s agatized and weathers out. It just sits on the surface. The washes are the best place to look because the logs are fairly clean of matrix in them. There’s no roads and barely even trails into this location. Most of the biggest stuff is left because it’s almost impossible to extract because it’s so heavy. It’s the same formation as Petrified Forest National Park so it’s those trees.:P  I haven’t ID’ed any yet. I’ll be getting around to that soon enough.

• I found this Informative 4

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Great photos! the entire area of the Rockies from north to south, is a most awesomely beautiful part of this planet. 

Did you bring this piece home? It's stunning.

03613F11-E457-4468-83B6-8B97441B9A89.jpeg.8b58a13d4eddc07c4861a1cf61bdd815.jpeg.c044404d94c41ca1ed375c8e99fe22b3.jpeg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

7 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Did you bring this piece home? It's stunning.

Isn’t it? I sorely wanted to take that specific piece but couldn’t take it home this time. It was too heavy to hike while carrying my camping supplies. I did mark the locations of these on my GPS so that I could revisit them at a later date. Hopefully, it’ll still be there and the river hasn’t washed it away yet when I get back there.

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, henpecked said:

Pretty country thanks for sharing

You’re welcome!

15 minutes ago, ynot said:

I always liked hunting in Utah, and that is some wonderful scenery and wood.

Thanks for the virtual tour!

Well, it’s my favorite place :dinothumb: And you’re welcome, thanks for reading. :D

6 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Thank you and you’re welcome! :)

Wow! That wood is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The pictures are lovely. I drove through the Capital Reef area in June 2017. As I drove I thought there have to be fossils out there somewhere. 

110 degrees when you were there? That’s brutal! I went hiking in the Escalante area in  110 to 115 heat. It was pretty harsh. I don’t think I’d make that same hike again in that kind of heat. I had other younger hikers with me. I started to get worried someone would have to haul us out because they ran out of water. We made it out in one piece, but we were worn out. 

So I gather the hike in is too far to make in and out in one day. 

I keep trying to figure out some device I could rig up to carry in with me which has big wheels to cover rough terrain so I can haul more stuff out. Sounds like you could use one too.

9 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

This one is in-situ. The log extends down farther into the rock. There’s a small layer of sediment from the wash but it still is in the rock. The rock may look soft in the pictures but it is as hard as concrete in some places. In the Shinarump, I’ve seen wood still in the wall but it’s hard to get out of the rock as well. It’s so much easier and just as good to pick up the stuff Mother Nature has weathered out. 

9DA4A8BB-FB2E-400F-B1A2-1F43398E2D04.jpeg

Thank you very much for the info! I like to see fossils in-situ (on my own hunts and on pics here on TFF), but I also like the easy pickings very much :).

Can´t wait for your next trip...

Franz Bernhard

6 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Wow! That wood is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The pictures are lovely. I drove through the Capital Reef area in June 2017. As I drove I thought there have to be fossils out there somewhere. 

110 degrees when you were there? That’s brutal! I went hiking in the Escalante area in  110 to 115 heat. It was pretty harsh. I don’t think I’d make that same hike again in that kind of heat. I had other younger hikers with me. I started to get worried someone would have to haul us out because they ran out of water. We made it out in one piece, but we were worn out. 

So I gather the hike in is too far to make in and out in one day. 

I keep trying to figure out some device I could rig up to carry in with me which has big wheels to cover rough terrain so I can haul more stuff out. Sounds like you could use one too.

There’s no shade in the bottom and brightly colored rock makes it very hot. I was carrying a gallon of water and went through the entire thing throughout that day. If you started early in the morning, collected, and hiked out, it is doable by night fall. It makes for a long day though. There just isn’t an easy way to get in, which is probably why it isn’t very picked over yet. Maybe we could hire a helicopter to pull out the big log for us.:ighappy:

5 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you very much for the info! I like to see fossils in-situ (on my own hunts and on pics here on TFF), but I also like the easy pickings very much :).

Can´t wait for your next trip...

Franz Bernhard

I will remember to take some in-situ pictures for you. :fistbump:

Btw- Utah is my favorite state, I would love to live in Moab, but the wife says no :(

I have completed week long backpacking trips through Zion, Bryce and a coutweeks in Grand Staircase Escalante. I have also spent a lot of time hiking in Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park. Lastly, I did a little biking in Slickrock and whitewater rafting on the Colorado and a little bouldering on 126. I just love that state.

30 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Btw- Utah is my favorite state, I would love to live in Moab, but the wife says no :(

I have completed week long backpacking trips through Zion, Bryce and a coutweeks in Grand Staircase Escalante. I have also spent a lot of time hiking in Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park. Lastly, I did a little biking in Slickrock and whitewater rafting on the Colorado and a little bouldering on 126. I just love that state.

Moab is a nice place with easy access to a lot of cool areas. I actually haven’t been to many of the national parks because I can’t bring myself to go to an area where I can’t bash on the rocks looking for fossils. I’ve been around all of them, just not in them.:ighappy: All of them very beautiful places, indeed.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for taking us along with you to this breathtaking wonderland. Cool!

Are the Triassic sediments there all terrestrial or do marine strata exist too?

1 minute ago, andreas said:

Thank you for taking us along with you to this breathtaking wonderland. Cool!

Are the Triassic sediments there all terrestrial or do marine strata exist too?

You’re welcome! There’s marine strata but the oceans were very shallow here. There’s many evaporite deposits in the Moenkopi and Chinle just showing that sometimes it was very shallow. There’s small layers of limestone in the Moenkopi where it periodically got deep enough to form limestone. That’s about it.

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very informative and well-presented topic! Thanks very much for posting!

3 hours ago, Monica said:

Pretty pictures and wonderful wood - thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome, thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing these great photos! Makes me long to go back to Utah soon (when it's not 110°F!).

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

5 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

Thanks for sharing these great photos! Makes me long to go back to Utah soon (when it's not 110°F!).

You’re welcome! It’s not the hottest I’ve been in but it’s close.:ighappy: