Most Unusual Florida Plant, Shell, Rock Fossil Find

Bronzviking

Hi all, This is an unusual looking find. Measures about 1 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 1 inch and found on the beach in Tampa Bay, Florida. It is hard as rock or shell, has striations running down and a twig sticking out of the middle. The bottom has tube worms, shell material and a barnacle. My educated guess is a fossilized plant root, like a mangrove (pneumatophores). Or a twig through a seashell like how the native Indians made tools that way by putting a hole in the shell and putting it through a branch and letting it grow in it tight. I have photographed several angles. What do you think it is?DSC080031.thumb.jpg.89cd674f8c229db64ac4150206520beb.jpgDSC080091.thumb.jpg.56f98f2e8906aa374fcf7f1dbd6ff3f9.jpgDSC080081.thumb.jpg.6b4ec09cf2e5fcaf66cdf509c89cfcec.jpgDSC080021.thumb.jpg.f63d055d6c40f2069c9d9c73547f7beb.jpgDSC080041.thumb.jpg.7b975ec8e66b718094877ed7853db94d.jpg

16 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It might be a gorgonian holdfast.

Oh thanks so much. :) After googling and seeing the pictures I remember finding red whip-like plants on the beach. Some with a clump or root attached which probably was the holdfast. So is this considered a fossil or modern? @Al Dente

Here is diagram and explanation.

A holdfast is a root-like structure that anchors aquatic sessile organisms, such as seaweed, other sessile algae, stalked crinoids, benthic cnidarians, and sponges, to the substrate. From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holdfast

Gorgonians are sessile colonial cnidarians found throughout the oceans of the world, especially in the tropics and subtropics. The name "Gorgonacea" is no longer considered valid and Alcyonacea is now the accepted name for the order.[1][2] Gorgonians are also known as sea fans and sea whips and are similar to the sea pen, a soft coral. From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgonian

image.png

I think, Eric is referring to a gorgonian coral holdfast, and I agree with that being a good possibility.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, Echinoid said:

It looks modern to me but I have never seen a fossilized example, so I don't know how they compare. 

@Bronzviking, what is the texture of the brown part? Is it at all pliable?

When I soaked it the stem was pliable but now it hardened once it dried out. I found this example of a fossil gorgonian holdfast. Looks very similar to mine with the striations, so I'm thinking fossil.

image.jpeg.319066fcd3c25f69442c6a1e98f55ed1.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

When I soaked it the stem was pliable but now it hardened once it dried out. 

Modern, definitely

9 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

The base of the holdfast is hard as a rock. Isn't this part fossilized?

I think your holdfast is modern. The attachment part is made of calcite and the rest is organic material. I find these holdfasts frequently  in Eocene deposits where all the organic material has decayed and only the calcite base is preserved.

• I found this Informative 3

That is a neat find. I've never seen a fossil one in person but I suppose they are out there in our area and probably blend in with all the other fossil debris and you really have to be paying attention to find one.  Makes sense that yours is non-fossil as you still have that pliable organic core. There was a similar discussion of this kind of critter part in another thread.  Lori found a link in there with some photos too...I like it! Good eyes. 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I think your holdfast is modern. The attachment part is made of calcite and the rest is organic material. I find these holdfasts frequently  in Eocene deposits where all the organic material has decayed and only the calcite base is preserved.

OK Thanks. What about the marine critters attached to the calcite bottom. The tube worm shells, barnacles and I detect bryozoan or something else. Are they fossilized?

Those might be older considering they may be part of the substrate for the gorgonian holdfast, but it's just a hypothesis. They could be recent considering that it was found on a beach, and the substrate was a long time in the sea.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library