Sand Dollars Ad Nauseum

Uncle Siphuncle

One of my out of state fossil buddies has been begging me to get him a load of Pleistocene sand dollars lately so I obliged yesterday when winds at the coast allowed me to run miles across the open bay near Corpus Christi, TX in my 12 foot jon boat. In a couple hours I picked up 23 LBS of Mellita quinquiesperforata sand dollars and a few gastropods. I didn't expect to find that many since I worked the site pretty hard a year ago, but the constant forces of Ma Nature combined with remoteness of the site worked in my favor.

Afterward I drove around scouting for excavations on dry land. One produced a number of bleached Pleistocene shells as well as a few fish bones which I believe are gill plates. I got a few horse tooth fragments and a very ugly shard of mammoth bone as well.

It's hard for me to run to the coast without fishing so I anchored my boat under a bridge and threw live shrimp in the channel at dusk. I was hoping for an oversized black drum but ended up throwing back a small speckled trout and a small redfish, but ultimately landed a fat 20" tiderunner speck after dark. Fishing was slow overall, but the trout fried in cornmeal supplemented with a bait shrimp boil left my family of 3 pushing away from the fat and happy with leftovers for tomorrow.

I love those double dip trips!

post-22-1203883894_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883901_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883907_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883916_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883927_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883942_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883954_thumb.jpg

post-22-1203883960_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Yes dan. Nice echs I must say. I do have some of those that are modern, but it would be nice to have one of those older ones to go along with one of mine. Nice fish too! A bit colder up here in Montana, but here is one from last week. WooooHooooo!!!

RB

post-171-1203896232_thumb.jpg

I'm with you RB. I love the outdoors whether I have a fishing rod, bow, rifle, muzzleloader, crossbow, pistol, spear, speargun, shovel, pick, screen or chisel in hand!

Grüße,

RJB

I have a better sand dollar for sale on a buddy's website which came from a dry land excavation 15-18 feet below the surface as opposed to my reworked spoil island finds from last weekend, hence the better condition of the former. It has a light coating of sand cemented to it as testament of its age. If you are interested holler back.

Mellita link

Grüße,