Tampa Bay ID Help

marfijak

Hello,

I need some help identifying a fossil I found today. It was found at a ‘beach’ inside of Tampa Bay that has been artificially nourished with dredge material. I regularly find sharks teeth, sting ray fossils, agatized coral, etc at this location. At first I thought this was some sort of sea bean but it is definetly fossilized. It is about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide. Any ideas?

Thank you!943D9B2E-B191-4885-91CC-0E8C53A10D5B.thumb.jpeg.b63a4fd4f183e332467f63843b806920.jpeg7E2A9AF2-F09E-4E1E-88EE-48F9CD68A704.thumb.jpeg.cf61d931c6dba1fdd1559cf1e78658f0.jpeg

23 minutes ago, marfijak said:

It is about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide. Any ideas?

Probably a Tilly bone ... it has raised its ugly head again. Search the site and you will find them for days in all shapes and sizes ....

A Hyperostotic swollen fish bone. An abnormal growth.

Cheers,

Brett

Edit: Here is another ...

• I found this Informative 2

I was just looking in my book and Brett answered. It looks like a Fish Ballast or bladder bones. These bones grow off the vertebrae, their true purpose is unknown. (also referred to as "Tilly Bones").

Thank you both for your quick responses. I have found a number of tilly bones around visible vertebrae but none like this! Very cool. I’m pretty sure I’ve even looked at the first thread you posted here in the past and just didn’t connect the dots. Have a great night!

actually,Max Koestler was the first to recognize (the causes of)hyperostosis in fish

(Zeitschr.f. Wiss.Zool.,1882,v 37,to be precise)

approx.transl: "On the thickening of bone in bony fishes"

zregill5t6hb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, marfijak said:

Any ideas?

That might be a hyperostosed fish spine base (vertebra to spine), in my thinking.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Here may be a nice resemblance. :)

943D9B2E-B191-4885-91CC-0E8C53A10D5B.jpeg.03f60a7adf1fce368083e5e488a98c18.thumb.jpg.17c4e44cc2a7da462f19ed688ef7fe6d.jpg5Specimens2a.jpg.44689eaf45cfb6a472319ba245b0bd23.jpg

comparative picture from here

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library