New Prep Shop

Ptychodus04

Hey... how come I haven't sen this post until today?  Great job, Kris.  I just built an indoor prep lab.. that is to say, I built a room inside the garage.  My wife and I bought a new house (built 1925, so not that new), and it needed a prep lab.  The front of the garage is fossil storage, and the back 11 feet is prep lab.  If you guys want, I can show you photos...

Have you considered putting a soundproof wall around your compressor to make quieter for you?  

PS... what is that fossil you are working on in the 'mess' photo?

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

If you guys want, I can show you photos...

Yes, please

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

Hey... how come I haven't sen this post until today?  Great job, Kris.  I just built an indoor prep lab.. that is to say, I built a room inside the garage.  My wife and I bought a new house (built 1925, so not that new), and it needed a prep lab.  The front of the garage is fossil storage, and the back 11 feet is prep lab.  If you guys want, I can show you photos...

Have you considered putting a soundproof wall around your compressor to make quieter for you?  

PS... what is that fossil you are working on in the 'mess' photo?

I’m not too worried about the compressor for me as I wear hearing protection while I prep anyway. If my space was bigger and I had room to soundproof it right, I might do that.

I would love to see your prep lab.

The fossil in the pic is a string of Moroccan plesiosaur vertebrae in a terribly hard concretion courtesy of our very own @snolly50.

That new shop of yours is impressive, Kris, with a nice comfortable mess inside, the way it should be. It does remind me a little of my grandfather's outhouse though, a 2-holer with lots of room for fishing gear. Good memories, actually.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 15.2.2019 at 10:19 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Ok, here’s a glimpse at my growing mess. The shop has a real lived in feel now as everything has a nice layer of fine dust on it. I’m thinking about biluilding a filter box to scrub the air in order to help with this. I don’t have any health concerns since I wear a good respirator when I work but the place is getting grungy fast.

I'll show you my air filter if you show me your respirator :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

49 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll show you my air filter if you show me your respirator :)

Even better than a picture, here’s a LINK to the respirator on 3M’s website. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Even better than a picture, here’s a LINK to the respirator on 3M’s website. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Thanks for the link. I think it's about time for me to pick up something like that instead of using those uncomfortable disposeable things.

And here's a LINK for you. :)             

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for the link. I think it's about time for me to pick up something like that instead of using those uncomfortable disposeable things.

And here's a LINK for you. :)             

That’s a great looking filter. That’s exactly what I need. 

That respirator is pretty comfortable (as far as having something strapped to your face can be comfortable) and really does keep the dust and fumes out of your lungs.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s a great looking filter. That’s exactly what I need. 

That respirator is pretty comfortable (as far as having something strapped to your face can be comfortable) and really does keep the dust and fumes out of your lungs.

You can even hang the filter from the ceiling out of the way, as I have done. I've discovered that 3M products are available here as well, so I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.

2.thumb.jpg.3c6c0ce1df197bbf3d7478e767ab1ffb.jpg

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You can even hang the filter from the ceiling out of the way, as I have done. I've discovered that 3M products are available here as well, so I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.

2.thumb.jpg.3c6c0ce1df197bbf3d7478e767ab1ffb.jpg

I didn’t know you did your prep work in your shower. That makes for easy clean up. :P

24 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I didn’t know you did your prep work in your shower. That makes for easy clean up. :P

:P The curtains are to protect the wall. My wife chose them, needless to say.

• 1 month later...

One minor upgrade to the shop today. I had been using a 3 way splitter for my scribes and that was fine until I got my Super Jack. Then, I had to start plugging and unplugging scribes to interchange. I know what you’re all thinking... poor baby. :P Well, a quick trip to the hardware store and I’m back in business with a brand new 4 port air manifold.

Now, the only problem is the length of the hose on my old Aro scribe. I’ll have to make an extension hose for it to get any useable length from a fixed manifold.

83D10933-9009-4CB5-8C6C-6E3E69F82232.thumb.jpeg.821791574de0909fe15f69dfb8a55f9d.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

One minor upgrade to the shop today. I had been using a 3 way splitter for my scribes and that was fine until I got my Super Jack. Then, I had to start plugging and unplugging scribes to interchange. I know what you’re all thinking... poor baby. :P Well, a quick trip to the hardware store and I’m back in business with a brand new 4 port air manifold.

Now, the only problem is the length of the hose on my old Aro scribe. I’ll have to make an extension hose for it to get any useable length from a fixed manifold.

83D10933-9009-4CB5-8C6C-6E3E69F82232.thumb.jpeg.821791574de0909fe15f69dfb8a55f9d.jpeg

Nice set up Kris!

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Nice set up Kris!

RB

Thanks. It will be a heck of a lot more convenient. I also added an air line on the other side of the shop so I can use my scribes at the larger table when the need arises.

• 2 months later...

I gave the lab (it’s a lab now, not a shop, since it’s costing me more than I’ll ever make from it) another upgrade today.

My shop vac/water trap dust collection system has been giving me grief. The problem is that my vac is too powerful and nothing I can do seems to stop it from sucking the water from the trap. Plus, it is horribly loud (85-90 decibels).

The solution is a small, wall mounted dust collector with a 2 micron bag. I connected this to my trap (dry now). Now, the trap collects the course debris and the bag only catches the fines. Theoretically, this will keep me from having to empty the bag so often.

The new collector runs at around 65 dB! The only downfall is that I had to run another electrical circuit from the panel to support the increased load. 53FE065E-2F45-4E38-8ACB-4481C7772125.thumb.jpeg.4cd457df4ca7b5b7f0b6cc149ad7573d.jpeg