HoppeHunting

This fragment was found at Bayfront Park, where the Calvert Formation of the Calvert Cliffs is exposed. It is only about 1/2 inch in length. It is almost perfectly flat on the top, with one line running down the middle and several smaller scratchlike lines running approximately perpendicular in either direction. The middle line seems to be a wall-like structure that goes through the entire cross section as it is visible on both sides. The bottom of the object has many tiny pores, that when viewed from the side appear to be the tops of tube-like structures. I am really stumped on this one. It looks somewhat like a broken section of a ray mouthpiece, but I’ve found hundreds of those and this is unlike any of them. I’m wondering if it may not even be a fossil because of the near perfect flatness of the top side. It definitely doesn’t match anything on the resources about Calvert Cliff fossils on the internet. If anyone has an idea about this one, I’d love to hear it. Because as of right now, I’m pretty clueless. Thanks!

4A05E6C6-D658-4AAE-9D05-82E3A9EFF822.jpeg

055F06E3-0FB7-4F56-9315-4AFF55781E9D.jpeg

3387E11A-ED42-4AED-A0ED-BEB000B9DFDE.jpeg

25471FDD-0CFF-4A53-87AC-2DF0807693F9.jpeg

EBA17251-C983-443A-8C68-B07DC9F6CC21.jpeg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Part of an Aetobatus tooth plate.

Yeap.

By the way, HI David! :D

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Part of an Aetobatus tooth plate.

Ah, I see it now. It's part of the plate where the actual "tooth" is broken off. The lines on the back and the cross section are similar to the ones shown here in this picture taken from fossilguy's website. Thanks so much!

rayplatefg.jpg

~Hoppe hunting!~

3 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

By the way, HI David! :D

Hey Jack! What have you been up to? Personally, I'm asking for a bunch of new fossil hunting gear for Christmas in preparation for a busy winter hunting season. Been doing some site prospecting too. Our area's a lot more geologically diverse than I realized! Anyway, always feel free to shoot me a PM if you wanna organize a trip, probably once it warms up though. Hoppe hunting!

~Hoppe hunting!~