Intense Squad Fossiling - NJ Cretaceous 12/23/18

Trevor

On 12/29/2018 at 12:03 AM, ynot said:

Nice finds!

To tell the age of the bottle You need to look at the mold lines - do they run over the lip or stop on the neck of the bottle.

Clay pipes have been made for several centuries, so no way to be sure of the age unless it has a makers mark.

Hi Tony,

Thanks!

The mold lines appear to stop at the neck of the bottle.

Unfortunately the pipe has no mark. But then it’s still at least a century old, right?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

17 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Hi Tony,

Thanks!

The mold lines appear to stop at the neck of the bottle.

Unfortunately the pipe has no mark. But then it’s still at least a century old, right?

Bottle is probably 1890 to 1906.

You can still buy clay pipes today, but they are not in popular use for some time now, so yeh could be 100 or more.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Bottle is probably 1890 to 1906.

You can still buy clay pipes today, but they are not in popular use for some time now, so yeh could be 100 or more.

Wow! Did not expect the bottle to be that old. How did you determine that age range off of the mold line position? I guess you have to use the mold line info in combination with the company’s manufacture history.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Wow! Did not expect the bottle to be that old. How did you determine that age range off of the mold line position? I guess you have to use the mold line info in combination with the company’s manufacture history.

The style of the bottle, the type of mold (indicated by mold lines), the type of lip  and whether there is a pontil or not are features that help date bottles.

This style of bottle was in common use from 1880 until 1930's. Earlier would have an applied lip, latter would be machine made with a mold line on the lip (1906 or more recent). The color of the glass can also be indicative of age in bottles.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.