Found these fossils in SW Missouri.

edteach

Went hiking again this Xmas day. My wife and I found these on top of the ground in lime stone formations in clay around the huge cliffs of limestone.  What are they? The rings with holes look like others I found on line called tub worms. Thanks

DSC00960.JPG.3d74a5392fbc451042fbacb7b134d54d.JPGDSC00962.JPG.f019dd93cf8ef3b7d9679520c37d15c0.JPG 

DSC00964.JPG

DSC00961.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

These are crinoid stems/columnals. The second image looks like it has the arms of the holdfast, which is pretty cool. 

columnal-description.jpg

crinoid-diagram.gif

• I found this Informative 8

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with the others, crinoids. Very interesting branching arm pattern, nice find.

Crinoids are marine animals that make up the class Crinoidea of the echinoderms (phylum Echinodermata). The name comes from the Greek word krinon, "a lily", and eidos, "form".[3][4] They live in both shallow water[5] and in depths as great as 9,000 meters (30,000 ft).[6] Those crinoids which in their adult form are attached to the sea bottom by a stalk are commonly called sea lilies.[7] The unstalked forms are called feather stars[8] or comatulids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinoid

looks like crinoid stem pieces and a hold fast to me. Nice find

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree with crinoid remains, and I'm sure about that the branched thing in the second picture is a holdfast (from the base of the crinoid, was used for remaining fixed/attached to the substrate :) )

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile