dirtdauber

On 12/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, dirtdauber said:

I appreciate your patience and hope you enjoyed.

:default_faint:

Agree with all the other comments above.

Wonderful - :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Incredible find! Thanks as well for the detailed photo documentation from the field and into the lab, as that tells a great story of the long process!

Thanks, Kane. I thought it important to document the find. -- George

3 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Wow!...this is awesome! @dirtdauber, your documentation is really fantastic (and extremely informative), thanks for posting.

Thanks! I've now learned more than I ever wanted to know about mosasaurs by working on and trying to ID this animal. Had a lot of help in the ID of individual bones, but did a lot of reading of journal articles. Thought labeling the photos would help others ID some of their bones.  == George

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, Xiphactinus said:

Stupendous fossil. Beautiful prep work. 

Thanks much. I appreciate the compliment coming from you. Easy prep compared to that little fish on your wall. -- George

Great work! Gotta love these T. rex of the sea!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

How beautiful.

And thanks for going to all the effort to post so many of your photos for us here!

Amazing work.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What an amazing find! :wub: Thanks for bringing us along on the excavation!  I can't imagine what it would have been like to see those mandibles/dentaries and teeth emerge from the chalk.

I have a large ravine on my property, but unfortunately it only exposes precambrian schist.  I often imagine what it would be like to have fossiliferous Cretaceous (or Miocene, or name your favorite period) exposed instead.  How fortunate your friends are to have such an exposure on their land.

Don

Great find and photo log congratulations to you all for the find and the prep work.

Just the type of incentive I need before my fossicking trip later in the week.

Mike

On 12/31/2018 at 9:21 AM, FossilDAWG said:

What an amazing find! :wub: Thanks for bringing us along on the excavation!  I can't imagine what it would have been like to see those mandibles/dentaries and teeth emerge from the chalk.

I have a large ravine on my property, but unfortunately it only exposes precambrian schist.  I often imagine what it would be like to have fossiliferous Cretaceous (or Miocene, or name your favorite period) exposed instead.  How fortunate your friends are to have such an exposure on their land.

Don

Thanks, Don. It was great fun exposing the bones. After a while, we'd jokingly complain 'Dang, another tooth!' I'm like most folks on this forum and get excited when I find a mosasaur or shark tooth while walking the creeks, so I couldn't pass on the opportunity to help Allison with her find.--  George

On 12/31/2018 at 1:58 PM, Mike from North Queensland said:

Great find and photo log congratulations to you all for the find and the prep work.

Just the type of incentive I need before my fossicking trip later in the week.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, Andy, Tidgy's Dad, Nimravis, ynot, and others for your kind comments. Glad you'll enjoyed the pics. -- George

The good fortune was mine, George.  You did an awesome job on Moose and were SO patient teaching me excavation techniques. Now, to find that other jaw!

14 hours ago, MooseHunter said:

The good fortune was mine, George.  You did an awesome job on Moose and were SO patient teaching me excavation techniques. Now, to find that other jaw!

Thanks, Allison. Safe trip tomorrow. -- George

Every picture I'm looking at, my brain's thinking "oh my god." That mosasaur is seriously too amazing, and great thing that it's going to help advance science! When you mean that graduates are going to research this, have they already started the research, or is that in queue? 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Wow, extremely exciting find!! Do you know what species it is?

The Tooth Fairy

4 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Every picture I'm looking at, my brain's thinking "oh my god." That mosasaur is seriously too amazing, and great thing that it's going to help advance science! When you mean that graduates are going to research this, have they already started the research, or is that in queue? 

Thank you! From my understanding, a current graduate student is studying mosasaurs and this specimen will be part of his studies (Masters thesis, I think).

4 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

Wow, extremely exciting find!! Do you know what species it is?

Thank you. No, not sure of the species yet, but pretty sure that it is Mosasaurus.

I am simply speachless :default_faint:

Thanks so much for sharing this experience of a lifetime with us!

Franz Bernhard

On 1/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, aplomado said:

I saw this one in person during prep, and I think dirtdauber is the most patient human being on earth...:o

Thanks, Ben, but my lady and grandkids would probably disagree with the 'most patient' statement. -- George

On 1/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, FranzBernhard said:

I am simply speachless :faint:

Thanks so much for sharing this experience of a lifetime with us!

Franz Bernhard

Thanks much, Franz.

• 3 years later...

I can't believe I only now came across this report! :o Wow! What a find! You all did a great job on excavating and preparing the specimen. It's a real beauty with those colours, absolutely stunning! :wub:

On 12/31/2018 at 4:21 PM, FossilDAWG said:

On 12/31/2018 at 1:12 AM, dirtdauber said:

Thanks! I've now learned more than I ever wanted to know about mosasaurs by working on and trying to ID this animal. Had a lot of help in the ID of individual bones, but did a lot of reading of journal articles. Thought labeling the photos would help others ID some of their bones.  == George

Thanks too for taking us along on this excavation, and sharing the photographs of all the bones. As has been said, it must've been an amazing experience seeing these bones (and a lot of teeth, as I understand :P) come to light, and labelling the bones is definitely a useful reference - especially for us here in Europe where displays of mosasaur skeletons are far and few between :default_clap2:

On 1/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, dirtdauber said:

From my understanding, a current graduate student is studying mosasaurs and this specimen will be part of his studies (Masters thesis, I think).

Do you happen to know whether any work been done on the specimen in the interlaying years? Has anything been published? Has the species been determined yet, for example?

On 1/5/2019 at 2:08 AM, dirtdauber said:

No, not sure of the species yet, but pretty sure that it is Mosasaurus.

I was just wondering what this identification was based on, if you still remember... Based on what I can make out from the teeth shown on the photographs, I'd agree, however, that this belongs to Mosasaurus sp. (for what taxonomic classifications based on teeth are worth), seeing as the degree of labiolingual curvature. At the same time, there seems to be quite a degree of faceting on some teeth, which would be rather unusual for M. hoffmannii, a species that the teeth otherwise show quite a degree of semblance to. Whatever the case, a fascinating find! :BigSmile:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Never saw this (joined after this thread).

Very cool report! What a great find. I would have excavated the entire hill looking for the rest. Would also like to know what is the status :popcorn: