smt126

Quite the finds for one day out there. I can't wait to hit the Chesapeake in august

Manticocerasman

You got some realy nice teeth there. Nice report :)

FranzBernhard

You were doing good, congrats!

And nice report and pics too, thanks for sharing!

I especially like this one:

2 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

20190103_140747.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Ludwigia

Congrats, particularly on that cow shark. I still dream of finding a complete one over here, but so far I've only been able to scratch out pieces. One of these days I hope to go for a walk down the eastern sea board.

WhodamanHD

Awesome cow! I’m glad it worked out well for ya!

FossilsAnonymous

@ShoreThing thanks for the tag. Looks like you were having all of the luck yesterday. While it is true your mako is not a huge tooth, it is in perfect condition. It seems like nice cows have been showing up at brownies recently. Looks like a couple of shark verts there too. Can’t wait for the go pro vid and now you’ve got me wanting to go out... (have to wait until tomorrow)

FossilsAnonymous
55 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Congrats, particularly on that cow shark. I still dream of finding a complete one over here, but so far I've only been able to scratch out pieces. One of these days I hope to go for a walk down the eastern sea board.

If you ever decide to we’ll welcome you for sure :)

Littlefoot

Beautiful cow! That's one of the largest I've seen!

The mako is a great find as well! I totally understand that feeling when you find a mako! The first time I found one, I swear I couldn't stop grinning! Yours is a beautiful tooth!

Congratulations on a wonderfully successful hunt!

FossilsAnonymous

I’m going down to Purse tomorrow, will post pics.

Fossildude19

Nice report!  Thanks for posting. 

Thanks for the in-situ pictures. 

Glad you were able to get out there. 

Tidgy's Dad

Interesting reading and good photos with some pretty nice finds as well. :)

Thanks for sharing this. 

masonboro37

Great report and finds! 

Al Tahan

Nice finds!!! That place is on my bucket list 

hokiehunter

Nice finds.  Love the cow and mako.  Btw... for reference in terms of how low can it go on the best blowout tides you can walk high and dry around the two rip rap sections about 3/4 of a mile to the south.  You'll then hit a small 75 to 100 yardish beach that can be productive.  It almost never gets exposed to the gravel  (maybe once or twice a year) so on the right day it usually held a meg or something unique for me.  It's a rare day when the tide gets that low though and if you ain't first on that section of beach you're last.

racerzeke

Beautiful finds and great report! Even though they are typically small finding a nice cow shark beats finding larger other species. That Mako is beautiful and it's awesome that you were able to find it in a unique spot. Sometimes it's hard to imagine finding a tooth somewhere unless you actually find it in a spot like that.

Glad you're hooked and hope to see many more reports in the future! :meg:

Darktooth

@ShoreThing Congratulations on a great hunt! I am glad to see you had a good time. Even for as many times that I have been to Calvert Cliffs and for all the great things that I have found, that is a haul that would of satisfied me. My first great tooth that I found was also a nice pristine mako. I was just as happy as if I found a meg. As others have said, that cowshark is nice, as well as the shark verts.:meg::dinothumb:

Nimravis

Some really nice finds and I really like the pics- we can never get enough.

ShoreThing

Thanks for all the love guys and gals! Sorry it has been a minute since I was able to log on here. The semester starts tomorrow and over the weekend I needed to focus on prepping for my classes so that my students get the education they deserve starting on day one. I can't wait to get out to the cliffs again and hopefully I can find some other great teeth. This hobby really has me hooked and I love learning so much from your comments and being a 'lurker' on the awesome posts on this forum. I hope 2019 bring you all the fossils of your dreams!

On 1/4/2019 at 3:41 AM, smt126 said:

Quite the finds for one day out there. I can't wait to hit the Chesapeake in august

On 1/4/2019 at 4:05 AM, Manticocerasman said:

You got some realy nice teeth there. Nice report :)

On 1/4/2019 at 4:42 AM, FranzBernhard said:

You were doing good, congrats!

And nice report and pics too, thanks for sharing!

I especially like this one:

Franz Bernhard

On 1/4/2019 at 5:19 AM, Ludwigia said:

On 1/4/2019 at 6:09 AM, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome cow! I’m glad it worked out well for ya!

On 1/4/2019 at 6:14 AM, FossilsAnonymous said:

@ShoreThing thanks for the tag. Looks like you were having all of the luck yesterday. While it is true your mako is not a huge tooth, it is in perfect condition. It seems like nice cows have been showing up at brownies recently. Looks like a couple of shark verts there too. Can’t wait for the go pro vid and now you’ve got me wanting to go out... (have to wait until tomorrow)

On 1/4/2019 at 6:54 AM, Littlefoot said:

Beautiful cow! That's one of the largest I've seen!

The mako is a great find as well! I totally understand that feeling when you find a mako! The first time I found one, I swear I couldn't stop grinning! Yours is a beautiful tooth!

Congratulations on a wonderfully successful hunt!

On 1/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Nice report!  Thanks for posting. 

Thanks for the in-situ pictures. 

Glad you were able to get out there. 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Interesting reading and good photos with some pretty nice finds as well. :)

Thanks for sharing this. 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, masonboro37 said:

Great report and finds! 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:13 AM, Al Tahan said:

Nice finds!!! That place is on my bucket list 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, hokiehunter said:

Nice finds.  Love the cow and mako.  Btw... for reference in terms of how low can it go on the best blowout tides you can walk high and dry around the two rip rap sections about 3/4 of a mile to the south.  You'll then hit a small 75 to 100 yardish beach that can be productive.  It almost never gets exposed to the gravel  (maybe once or twice a year) so on the right day it usually held a meg or something unique for me.  It's a rare day when the tide gets that low though and if you ain't first on that section of beach you're last.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, racerzeke said:

Beautiful finds and great report! Even though they are typically small finding a nice cow shark beats finding larger other species. That Mako is beautiful and it's awesome that you were able to find it in a unique spot. Sometimes it's hard to imagine finding a tooth somewhere unless you actually find it in a spot like that.

Glad you're hooked and hope to see many more reports in the future! :meg:

On 1/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Darktooth said:

@ShoreThing Congratulations on a great hunt! I am glad to see you had a good time. Even for as many times that I have been to Calvert Cliffs and for all the great things that I have found, that is a haul that would of satisfied me. My first great tooth that I found was also a nice pristine mako. I was just as happy as if I found a meg. As others have said, that cowshark is nice, as well as the shark verts.:meg::dinothumb:

On 1/4/2019 at 11:59 PM, Nimravis said:

Some really nice finds and I really like the pics- we can never get enough.

ShoreThing
On 1/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, hokiehunter said:

I think I know the beach you are talking about...is it the one that once you hit it, you can see the first dock a bit further down? If so, that has been my turning around point as I usually get there when the tide is coming in and I think it best head back with some time to search along the way.

hokiehunter

No.  It is farther down than that.  You literally can't go any farther than this beach without a kayak because the rip rap wall starts on the southern end of it and extends down for well over a mile.  Like I said, only gets exposed on the best blowouts.  If it ain't blowing 30 to 40+ for a day or so down the bay the path down to it is 4 or 5+ feet deep in spots.  Even in a "good" blowout you still might find a few spots you have to wade in a foot or more of water to get around.  Sand deposits are constantly changing so it just really depends but the beach is there (or was) on a good day 10 or so years ago.  What is exposed sand or gravel one day is often gone the next though and this area particularly due to the rip rap messing up the flow of sand.

JMUFossil

excellent finds! Especially liked the cow shark (as most people have noted).

@hokiehunter Not sure if you meant it, but I liked the Talladega Nights reference. That movies does not get enough love.

ShoreThing
On 1/7/2019 at 4:07 PM, JMUFossil said:

excellent finds! Especially liked the cow shark (as most people have noted).

@hokiehunter Not sure if you meant it, but I liked the Talladega Nights reference. That movies does not get enough love.

Thanks. I was very pleased for being very new to this hobby...and an addictive one for sure! On another note, are you a JMU alum? If so, I went a smidgen further down 81 to Bridgewater, while my brother decided he was going to be a Duke. 

HoppeHunting

Congrats! That's quite the haul for Brownies, not to mention being new to collecting as well. You seem to have a knack for it. That mako is an absolute gem for a public location. You did very well!