Unknown fossil find on Myrtle Beach. Fish skull?

PSchleis

Ok, found this one tonight walking Myrtle Beach. It kind of reminds me of a walnut shell. The center seems to be some kind of seam. I'm including a photo of the opposite side but it's not as great as I hoped. Hard to show detail, but it's concave as if it held something. Ideas?

-- Paula

5c317393d27f6_unknownfossil1.thumb.JPG.ec27b1389252788745fbf3417006e71d.JPG5c31739483abf_unknownfossil2.JPG.994633e8ccd107899fd1148a4548ff59.JPG5c31739582b3c_unknownfossil3.thumb.JPG.a5f0780444d55a1dabd4f05dfb2298be.JPG5c31739602865_unknownfossil4.JPG.a2d8f4e6f41e56b68d702073b6cf3904.JPG

Edited by PSchleis
finetune title description

Fish skull. Probably sea robin.

• I found this Informative 2

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

19 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Thanks, Pete. I'd never seen such a thing. I adjusted the title on this thread to reflect it. What a cool little piece. Amazing detail!

While looking up sea robin skulls, I couldn't find any that resembled what I had, but I came across this photo that was labeled "baby alligator head." Does this look closer to what I have?

babyalligatorhead.PNG

The picture you posted above is a Sea Robin skull. I think the object you have looks more like a "Tilly bone".

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think it is part of a vertebra - thin neural spine and postzygapohyses?

Here is an image of ostrich vertebrae

bird neck note sheet - LEFT - all three views

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

13 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

I vote for part of sea robin skull. I also found 6 of these @ NMB this past Nov/Dec. Also see picture from post by Gray Ghost27 10/10/11 "Sea Robin Skull plates"

Screenshot_2019-01-06 Searobin Skull Plates.jpg

Edited by fossilnut
added pic

On 1/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, fossilnut said:

I vote for part of sea robin skull. I also found 6 of these @ NMB this past Nov/Dec. Also see picture from post by Gray Ghost27 10/10/11 "Sea Robin Skull plates"

Screenshot_2019-01-06 Searobin Skull Plates.jpg

I guess I'm having trouble recognizing my piece in the photo. 

Ok, I found another skull plate on the beach today (left). It matches images I've been finding that are identified on the Internet as a searobin skull plate. But I don't see any resemblance to that and the other fossil I found yesterday (right). Aren't these two different things?

Also, I've looked up "tilly bone" images on the Internet. I can't find a tilly bone image that looks anything remotely like the photo in my original post.

Still confused!

5c324958ebfc2_fishskullplates.thumb.JPG.cd6cdc4276b435aedf6429d728a97d6f.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, PSchleis said:

Also, I've looked up "tilly bone" images on the Internet. I can't find a tilly bone image that looks anything remotely like the photo in my original post.

Good research, as far as it goes, Paula.  Have you searched The Fossil Forum?  There are some extensive threads here dealing with Tilly Bones, with plenty of illustrations.  I am of the Tilly bone persuasion for your find. 

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

3 hours ago, PSchleis said:

I can't find a tilly bone image that looks anything remotely like the photo in my original post.

A tilly bone is a deformation that can happen to any bone in a fish.

Most are not from the skull elements of the skeleton, but some are.

I agree that Your piece is a deformed (tilly) bone from the skull of a fish (sea robin or other.)

3 hours ago, PSchleis said:

But I don't see any resemblance to that and the other fossil I found yesterday (right). Aren't these two different things?

Different parts of the skull and the new piece is not deformed (tilly-ized).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

A tilly bone is a deformation that can happen to any bone in a fish.

Most are not from the skull elements of the skeleton, but some are.

I agree that Your piece is a deformed (tilly) bone from the skull of a fish (sea robin or other.)

Different parts of the skull and the new piece is not deformed (tilly-ized).

Ok, thanks! I've spent hours looking for a "tilly bone" or a "searobin skull plate" that looks anything like mine - to no avail. I'm going to give up and take y'alls word for it! Very much appreciate the help.

-- Paula

16 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

Ok, thanks! I've spent hours looking for a "tilly bone" or a "searobin skull plate" that looks anything like mine - to no avail.

You are welcome.

I agree with Harry, do a search in the fossil forums pages.  There are several threads about tilly bones and sea robin skulls.

Keep in mind that Your piece has bulbous deformations compared to a normal piece of fish skull.

Also "sea robin" is two words.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

You are welcome.

I agree with Harry, do a search in the fossil forums pages.  There are several threads about tilly bones and sea robin skulls.

Keep in mind that Your piece has bulbous deformations compared to a normal piece of fish skull.

Also "sea robin" is two words.

Thanks again. I've been searching the fossil forum pages in complete awe of the wonderful resource collected here. I can't get enough of this site. There is so much to learn. I've wasted so many years just looking for shark's teeth when all these other wonderful things were right beneath my feet.

Anyway, I've got more fossils to post but trying not to outstay my welcome so limiting them to one a day!

25 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

Anyway, I've got more fossils to post but trying not to outstay my welcome so limiting them to one a day!

Open the flood gates and let it rip!:thumbsu:

The members of TFF like to see all sorts of rock.:D

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

Open the flood gates and let it rip!:thumbsu:

The members of TFF like to see all sorts of rock.:D

Haha, ok!

back in the day these particular "tilly bones" were called bony fish basi-occipitals. Am not up on the current Tilly Bone nomenclature though. I thought Tillys were hyperostosed verts etc. Just stating my ignorance not an opinion.

They were called "ballast bones" also, but that idea was discounted.  This object doesn't much resemble any fish basioccipital that I could find in a google search.  One important clue that this bone is not part of the axial skeleton is the lack of bilateral symmetry.  A careful examination reveals that the lobes and other parts are not symmetrical.  Slight to significant asymmetry is typical of Tilly bones.

Pacific halibut basioccipital:  fish_ph_basioccipital_dorsal.thumb.jpg.d5b0377b837e52c12fa1d4d75d054131.jpg

fish_ph_basioccipital_ventral.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest