Super find! :)

It's lovely. 

Manticocerasman

nice fossil, looking forward to see it prepped :popcorn:

DanJeavs
1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Super find! :)

It's lovely. 

Isn’t it just. Been told it’s probably unpreppable which is a shame. The lobster is softer than the matrix around it, which means it can’t be abraided. Only other option I can think of is acid prep, but even then I don’t think that would work. 

Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, DanJeavs said:

Isn’t it just. Been told it’s probably unpreppable which is a shame. The lobster is softer than the matrix around it, which means it can’t be abraided. Only other option I can think of is acid prep, but even then I don’t think that would work. 

I wouldn't risk it, it's nice enough as it is, would be a tragedy to damage it. 

FossilDAWG

I doubt acid prep would improve things.

Sometimes, for research purposes, one might actually remove (destroy) the soft fossil to expose a high fidelity mold in the hard matrix.  Then you can make a resin or latex cast that shows the all the details.  However, you probably would not want to do that to a specimen for a private collection.

Don

DanJeavs
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I wouldn't risk it, it's nice enough as it is, would be a tragedy to damage it. 

Certainly so, hopefully I’ll come across another one day

DanJeavs
1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I doubt acid prep would improve things.

Sometimes, for research purposes, one might actually remove (destroy) the soft fossil to expose a high fidelity mold in the hard matrix.  Then you can make a resin or latex cast that shows the all the details.  However, you probably would not want to do that to a specimen for a private collection.

Don

You’re right, did some digging around, the only way possible would be to prep mechanical with a needle point at such a ridiculously low power under a microscope. Not something I have the time for, and not something I’d be willing to pay for due to how long it would take. I’m out collecting for a week next week. Let’s see if I can bag another. Fingers crossed. 

Tidgy's Dad

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

caldigger
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

This is code for "I hope he has my mailing address!"

Wrangellian

Good call to send to a professional prepper, whatever method they choose. I wondered if they could reinforce the soft lobster with some sort of consolidant, then prep it out, but Don's idea sounds interesting - I wonder what the results would look like.

ynot
On 1/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, DanJeavs said:

Next month it’s being sent off to be professionally prepped 

Please show Us the end results.

:popcorn: