Possible Leg Or Back Bone North Texas

sbryans

I found these in a creek and there are a ton of them. I think that one of the bones is a hip bone (the one that I am holding near the skeletin), but I am not sure. The two large bones were found together and i saw two more that were just like them in the same area. I am not sure if they are leg bones or back bones.

post-2276-12535667440286_thumb.jpg

post-2276-12535667690442_thumb.jpg

post-2276-125356679065_thumb.jpg

sbryans -

While these resemble bones in shape, they are in reality chert concretions. It is very common to mistake concretions for bones. The good news is that usually there are fossils in the limestones around concretions. Look for marine fossils like shells.

Good luck!

[edit - I started with this thread before I saw your other one. I see you already found the marine fossils. The ammonites are really, really nice!)

Edited by Xiphactinus

sbryans -

While these resemble bones in shape, they are in reality chert concretions. It is very common to mistake concretions for bones. The good news is that usually there are fossils in the limestones around concretions. Look for marine fossils like shells.

Good luck!

Gotta agree with this. Saw many similar to those in central Florida.

Be true to the reality you create.

Thank you very much for everyones reply.. We will continue to look for marine fossils. We just walked about 200 feet of a mile long creek and I hope that we find more ammonites that we can post picts of. The good news is that the ammonites and other marine fossils are everywhere and easy to see. I hope we find a cool fish or other marine life. I am going to get a big yellow dog bus out there and let the kids start picking up some cool fossils. Thanks again.