Need help identifying bone

PSchleis

I'm told most bones found on Myrtle Beach are dugong, but I can't quite place this bone on a chart I have of the dugong skeleton.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Paula

P1110824.thumb.JPG.4789dce12af5e04c39a2472c152c5efb.JPGP1110826.thumb.JPG.4f9ee3b8e21d6e602ff3201cc4562756.JPGP1110823.thumb.JPG.b865cc2c6f0d839db538303605e66843.JPGP1110825.thumb.JPG.0762db38374d7f1f535068ed006c368b.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

the dense pore-less rib bones of dugong or manatee (whichever is correct) are very distinctive. That is what we usually see preserved. There can be almost any other type of cretaceous to Pleistocene bones on the strand at Myrtle Beach.

21 minutes ago, Plax said:

the dense pore-less rib bones of dugong or manatee (whichever is correct) are very distinctive. That is what we usually see preserved. There can be almost any other type of cretaceous to Pleistocene bones on the strand at Myrtle Beach.

Hi Plax,

So given this one has pores, should I start investigating something other than dugong?

32 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

should I start investigating

Fragments of bone like this are seldom identifiable. There are no external diagnostic features left.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I would think with the shape you should be able to identify what bone it was and then by process of elemination narrowit down to a few animals at least.

I’m not familiar with all the animals there, but I know here with bone fragments from my area you can narrow it down to at least an order or even family. Most of mine if not reptilians are horse or artiodactyla (even toed ungulates) of some kind.

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

I would think with the shape you should be able to identify what bone it was and then by process of elemination narrowit down to a few animals at least.

I’m not familiar with all the animals there, but I know here with bone fragments from my area you can narrow it down to at least an order or even family. Most of mine if not reptilians are horse or artiodactyla (even toed ungulates) of some kind.

Thanks, Kim. Pictures might not do it justice, but it's a very defined shape. I'll have fun investigating!

this bone should be distinctive enough for one of our experts to ID. The wide range of geological possibilities may be off putting. A cretaceous experienced person may see a vertebral process to a Mosasaur and a Pleistocene experienced person a mammal part. Not saying it's either of these just stating a problem.