Goodwill Find - But not a Fossil

Nimravis

In the past I have posted some plastic “Plano” brand cases that I periodically find and buy from Goodwill. These are great cases, they are made very well and are compartmentalized and perfect for storage of smaller fossils. The below pic shows some of the Plano cases that I have, they are the thinner ones.

CE671A68-A172-4D5B-9551-8E7E0700CD87.thumb.jpeg.1a5f45662ff54bae1af43e2405bd04c8.jpeg

But I digressed- so today I stopped in a Goodwill and picked up two of the below cases that must have been used by a salesman for samples. These cases are very nice and well made and they will be perfect when out collecting at road cuts for smaller items such as brachiopods, etc. These cases are also compartmentalized and will allow me to sort fossils as I collect them rather than placing them in plastic bags where the fossils could get damaged by the end of the day. And at a cost of $3.99 each, I could not go wrong.

B3D61B27-89B7-4D6C-A9D7-BF82A6646E21.thumb.jpeg.451b61e238df089e97399e920eaec713.jpeg47019530-BBA0-44A2-9546-11B04A3694B7.thumb.jpeg.3d8f4ecc7c8805534ed73a9479f0ddd1.jpeg87A6F35B-60BD-4331-8139-02822FE6676F.thumb.jpeg.965938b69955025da1d6ee2146ee5af5.jpeg689E621E-022B-4A59-87B4-23E7CF81AC9B.thumb.jpeg.bed1254db7a6f4c6bb4d46c6338e821a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

23 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Ridiculously cheap! 

Result! :)

I agree and they are the sturdiest that I have ever found.

• I found this Informative 1

These can be found in the hardware department of most of your home improvement stores. Used to hold screws, bolts and other hardware.

Although not for only $3.99!

Great buy!!!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I've got one or two of these in clear plastic that I use for minerals... I don't have too many small fossils that I would put in them (either in the field or at home), but I can definitely see them being useful for those of you who live in places where you pick up a bushel of brachiopods each time you hit a place like the St. Leon roadcut, and you could use it to categorize your finds by layer or whatever you need.

These are nice for the price. I've used old tackle boxes, as well.

• I found this Informative 2

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Sturdy case for the money. Glad you are recycling. I reuse plastic food packaging and prescriptions bottles to store rocks/fossils. I also reuse plastic bottle caps for displaying rocks and fossils. I just bought a storage case in the arts and crafts chain store on sale for $15 originally $42, ouch.

Good find! Let’s see it get filled up now:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

On 1/11/2019 at 12:22 AM, Peat Burns said:

I have a tackle box that looks just like that.  I think it might be a plano 

I looked these ones up, if I recall now they are Flembeau- and they make tackle boxes as well- these are very sturdy.

Motivated by Ralph's recent bargains, I stopped by our local Goodwill and found these.

The two Plano brand compartmentalized boxes are still in their manufacturer's original shipping bags for a $1 ea.  The sturdy tub I will use for larger matrix pieces picked up for 89 cents. 

Our Goodwill rarely ever has anything good. It is normally filled with broken junk and useless objects that couldn't sell in someone's yard sale.

I envy those individuals that are able to find treasures in their stores.  I suspect our store employees get first picks before anything ever reaches the sales floor. :(

20190112_214608.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I’m starting to learn fishing tackle box trays are the best. Walmart fishing section is great. I have loads of trays of many sizes for roughty $5 a piece. The small trays from Walmart are literally $2 and great for very small fossils 

I do have two others like the ones in plastic that I use for field collecting ( invaluable!!!!) They were $2.88 Wal-Mart purchases.   They fit so nicely in my day pack too.

Dorensigbadges.JPG