Coral head ID,

dalmayshun

With the Peace river a bit too high to fossil hunt, I have been heading to some of my other favorite jaunts...there is a little stream  ( only 2 feet wide) that meanders through Lee County just a little north of the Caloosahatchee - it probably feeds into another larger creek, though I haven't bothered finding it ...at any rate, with permission, I have hunted it for a few years now. This however is the first interesting coral head I found there. It is like iron...i know the coloration is from exposure, but the coral itself is extremely hard...those top edges are sharp like kiives. It seems to be part of a larger globular coral, as the inside/bottom has that tell tale curvature to it. I have included a closeup of the septa on the bottom, but on the top they are so deep as to not be seen...just that honeycomb effect. is that because the septa are softer and worn out, or were they naturally recessive in this type of coral...and of course, can someone tell me what it is. 

20190110_151505-picsay.jpg

20190110_151619-picsay.jpg

20190110_151531-picsay.jpg

20190110_151743-picsay.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like Septastrea marylandica.  LINK

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain