jpc

Hello Fossil Fans-

Once again, I would like to let you all know that the Tate Geological  Museum will be running Dinosaur Digs this summer.  We have five weeks of excavations open to the public for a somewhat nominal fee.  I invite any of you who want to come out to Wyoming and truly experience a dinosaur dig with yours truly as chief bottle-washer to check out the web site:

https://www.caspercollege.edu/tate-geological-museum/events/digs

I know there are lot of folks here who collect fossils for themselves, so I need to say that these trips are collecting for the Tate Museum, not for personal collecting.   

• I found this Informative 9

I'd like to add my two cents and encouragement. Though I've not been on these specific Dinosaur Digs with JP before, I have been out in the field with him and you'll find him to be a most competent and enjoyable host and Chief Bottle-washer. ;)

Tammy and I have done several digs in Florida for the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH). These are also "volunteer" digs where the fossils go to the museum instead of our own collections. We've always found these digs to be enriching and very enjoyable. It's a different kind of fossil hunting that won't increase the size of your personal collection but it will increase the catalog of your personal experiences. If you've ever watched dino-documentaries and wished you could be that person sitting next to that dinosaur bone with dental picks and brushes revealing the bones of childhood favorites like Diplodocus , Triceratops and others--here is your chance to dig in fossil rich sites in the late Cretaceous and Jurassic!

Consider taking a week vacation and doing something more than sitting by the pool with a paperback. Make some memories, take lots of photos to make your friends green with envy, and help the Tate recover some nice specimens so they may be appreciated by others and aid science.

(Steps down and walks away carrying soapbox under one arm.) :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 5

Looks like you guys will have a lot of fun. I would do it, but you need to be 16 or older. I wish you the best in finding some nice specimens!

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, digit said:

I'd like to add my two cents and encouragement. Though I've not been on these specific Dinosaur Digs with JP before, I have been out in the field with him and you'll find him to be a most competent and enjoyable host and Chief Bottle-washer. ;)

Tammy and I have done several digs in Florida for the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH). These are also "volunteer" digs where the fossils go to the museum instead of our own collections. We've always found these digs to be enriching and very enjoyable. It's a different kind of fossil hunting that won't increase the size of your personal collection but it will increase the catalog of your personal experiences. If you've ever watched dino-documentaries and wished you could be that person sitting next to that dinosaur bone with dental picks and brushes revealing the bones of childhood favorites like Diplodocus , Triceratops and others--here is your chance to dig in fossil rich sites in the late Cretaceous and Jurassic!

Consider taking a week vacation and doing something more than sitting by the pool with a paperback. Make some memories, take lots of photos to make your friends green with envy, and help the Tate recover some nice specimens so they may be appreciated by others and aid science.

(Steps down and walks away carrying soapbox under one arm.) :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the comments, Ken.  (No, I dd not pay him, but maybe I owe you a beer next time). 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Looks like you guys will have a lot of fun. I would do it, but you need to be 16 or older. I wish you the best in finding some nice specimens!

you will be 16 someday....  

I will still be here doing this.  : )

• I found this Informative 2