Peat Burns

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Oh, I forgot to respond to this.  The short answer is unbelievably lucky with regards to the site in general and specifically with regard to the pocket I was in.  Very tedious digging in hard conglomerate, and the teeth are usually cracked and extremely fragile - so field consolidant, toilet paper, and aluminum foil :)

The inverts came from a different site.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. 50 teeth is then almost the hunt of a lifetime then, lucky you! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Ah ok, thanks for the info. 50 teeth is then almost the hunt of a lifetime then, lucky you! :fistbump:

Yeah, the colleague that was with me (only several feet to my left) was quite perturbed.  I would let out an annoying whistle every time I encountered another tooth.  I did a lot of whistling :hearty-laugh:

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks, Dave!  Hopefully I can meet you and hunt with you at DSR sometime this year :)

Thank you.  It was a real treat to be able to hunt the Triassic.  Not many such opportunities for me or many others.  Unfortunately, the invert report may be a very long time in coming.  Very difficult and tedious prep among other issues.

Thanks, Christian.  This site was on private property (with permission, of course :)) and not otherwise open for hunting.

Oh yes!  You'll be pleased, but I may need to publish before I can post, which means it's going to be a long wait, unfortunately :(

That would be great Tony! Just let me know when you plan on coming. Maybe you can time your trip for the group hunt in spring. Then you could meet up with a bunch of members. It's always a blast!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

WOW what an amazing hunt! I love seeing that Triassic vertebrate material. I feel it's quite rare to spot on the forum, especially self-collected fossils! The phytosaur teeth are stunning and it appears that you've found a rather bountiful spot.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Maybe you can time your trip for the group hunt in spring. Then you could meet up with a bunch of members. It's always a blast!

I'd love that :hammer01::trilo:.  Have you all decided when it will be?

3 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I'd love that :hammer01::trilo:.  Have you all decided when it will be?

Not yet, I will have to get ahold of @Jeffrey Pand see if we can get the ball rolling.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Congratulations. That is an amazing haul of Phytoteeth- a dream of a day. I think at least one of those puppies is worthy of entering in the FOTM contest.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Vertebrates?

You've been lured to The Dark Side! :o

Seriously, that's a great haul, what a lot of phytosaur teeth and scales! 

Nice. :)

I'm very interested to see the Triassic invertebrates too. Sounds intriguing.

:blush:

7 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. That is an amazing haul of Phytoteeth- a dream of a day. I think at least one of those puppies is worthy of entering in the FOTM contest.

Thank you :).

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I especially love the teeth and most especially the serrated ones. I love the patina of the serrated one.  

9 hours ago, gwestbrook said:

Wow! I especially love the teeth and most especially the serrated ones. I love the patina of the serrated one.  

Thank you. Being heterodontus, the Redondosaurus teeth are like a box of chocolates - you never know what kind you're gonna get next :).  Very different tooth morphologies in the same critter - some short, fat and serrated, some long, skinny, and sinuous with no serrations, others peg-like and serrated.

Only two teeth from this lot ended up being non-phytosaur.  These are more blade-like / flattened with serrations.  No one knows exactly what they belonged to.  The folks at museums in NM suspect they may be dinosaurian, but that's just a "hunch" on their part :)