RocksInMyPocket

Possible Turtle Shell from Summerville

RocksInMyPocket

Hey guys! New member here from Charleston. Hoping to get some help ID’ing what I think might be turtle shell pieces and another potential fossil. Found these in a creek in Summerville along with some teeth (Chandler Bridge Formation). Thanks! 

ACBB71FA-C0CB-40D5-A357-342432A9C36D.jpeg

F3C868C9-68D6-49E9-A069-646648EE92F2.jpeg

81BEFA05-9B84-412C-8FE9-16C4D4A81BA9.jpeg

abyssunder

Welcome to the Forum! :)
I agree with turtle for the first two, but I have no idea what would be the other one.

Bronzviking

Welcome to the forum from Florida. Yes the first one is a nice tortoise shell and the smaller one is a turtle shell or scute. The unknown fossil could be a bivalve imprint on rock?

RocksInMyPocket

Thank you both!

Seguidora-de-Isis

Welcome to the forum from Argentina.  :D

Yes, definitely the two are carapace or plastron fragments  af turtle. It is likely to belong to the now-extinct Psephophorus sp turtle genus (related to the modern-day leatherback turtle). This genus was quite common during the Oligocene, 30 million years ago in Summerville. Unfortunately I have no idea what the third fragment might be, but I do not rule out the possibility of being crocodilian or whale material worn out by the action of water...

:dinothumb:

dalmayshun

turtle shell...thought you might be interested in a diagram so here you go. Nice finds. Welcome 

turtle shell pattern.jpg

dalmayshun

long piece could be like a c.p.5 and the smaller piece  like an edge piece, possibly like a 2 or maybe towards the back, like a 9, 10 in that area. 

Harry Pristis

This is a good illustration of why I sometimes object to the use of the term "scute" when referring to the carapacial or plastral bones of reptiles.  The illustration makes the distinction, if you study it.  Notice how the scutes (the thin, keratinous [fingernail-like] plates overlap and cover the bones of the carapace.  Scutes are not bones, but cover bones in a pattern that does not conform to the pattern of the bones..

For example, in the diagram vertebral scute 2 (v.s.2) covers and overlaps neural bone 2 (n.2) and parts of neural bone 1 (n.1) and neural bone 3 (n.3) as well as parts of costal plates (bones) 1, 2, and 3.  Scutes and bones are not synonymous. 

While these bones are often preserved as fossils, the keratinous scutes are not preserved.  So, it is erroneous to refer to a fossil scute.

Plantguy
On 1/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, RocksInMyPocket said:

Hey guys! New member here from Charleston. Hoping to get some help ID’ing what I think might be turtle shell pieces and another potential fossil. Found these in a creek in Summerville along with some teeth (Chandler Bridge Formation). Thanks! 

81BEFA05-9B84-412C-8FE9-16C4D4A81BA9.jpeg

Nice turtle finds. Can we see some additional angles/views of this unknown? Thanks. 

Regards, Chris  

Plax

I suspect the turtle bones are Pleistocene and from freshwater or land turtles. A mixture of ages is common in stream finds. Can't make anything out of your last one though.

sixgill pete
24 minutes ago, Plax said:

I suspect the turtle bones are Pleistocene and from freshwater or land turtles. A mixture of ages is common in stream finds. 

I agree.

RocksInMyPocket
23 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Nice turtle finds. Can we see some additional angles/views of this unknown? Thanks. 

Regards, Chris  

More photos of the third one along with a photo of something similar I found in the same area. They might just be rocks, I’m a newbie :) 

0916983A-D2C8-4C20-BB7E-CCF523A2761D.jpeg

3A31B8C2-4B36-4990-81A2-3CC6EF67C06F.jpeg

453FA41F-53E3-4225-BDA8-0F2E5789D8C7.jpeg

1208B14B-7550-41E1-B8A3-B5C4D71FFCF2.jpeg

abyssunder

The radiating patterns might be crystal growths, maybe something similar to the ones of the "chrysanthemum stone".