KimTexan

Bison Bonanza part 2

KimTexan

Well, it is not letting me upload more. I've tried clearing and refreshing a few times. I'll be back after a while.

Heteromorph

:popcorn:

KimTexan
1 minute ago, Heteromorph said:

It still isn't letting me upload anything. I have refreshed and cleared everything. I had this same problem with one of the bison posts last week. It is quite frustrating. I'm ready for bed, but would like to finish this post, but may not be able to.

Al Tahan

I’m interested in seeing more. I’ll be patient :) :popcorn:

Kato

I don't know how far above where you are digging before you are on the bank. From the way the roots are hanging down...maybe only a couple of feet? It may be time to call up some beer drinking friends for an excavation session from above. It may end up being quicker and safer.

KimTexan
25 minutes ago, Kato said:

I don't know how far above where you are digging before you are on the bank. From the way the roots are hanging down...maybe only a couple of feet? It may be time to call up some beer drinking friends for an excavation session from above. It may end up being quicker and safer.

There is 5 or more feet of bank above the bone layer. There are also trees up on top of the bank.

I wish I were the type who had a bunch of buddies I could call in to help. I am actually pretty shy and almost always hunt alone. It is hard for me to break the ice. Once the ice is broken I am not really that shy.

Peat Burns

hrguy54

I'm coming down right now to help. I'll be there by noon.

I'll call you when I get there. I'll bring food and beer.

(What I'd say if I lived near you. But I'm in Ohio with 6 inches of snow and 15 degrees.)

Tidgy's Dad

Very exciting, Kim! :)

Xiphactinus

Such a cool find! Thanks for taking us along with you, Kim!

dalmayshun

lol, you may well end up with that whole animal to be displayed in your living room...We are all cheering for you, and wish we could help move some dirt....

KimTexan
7 hours ago, hrguy54 said:

I'm coming down right now to help. I'll be there by noon.

I'll call you when I get there. I'll bring food and beer.

(What I'd say if I lived near you. But I'm in Ohio with 6 inches of snow and 15 degrees.)

LOL. I like the spontaneity and enthusiasm. I wish I had a buddy like that. I did invite a guy out to help, but he had to work.

40 degrees is a lot more tolerable for digging. I wasn’t cold the entire 4 hours I was there

Kato
4 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

lol, you may well end up with that whole animal to be displayed in your living room...We are all cheering for you, and wish we could help move some dirt....

It may well be KimTexan could end up with bones from more than bison...not sure whether to cross or not cross my fingers on that one for good luck.

KimTexan
42 minutes ago, Kato said:

It may well be KimTexan could end up with bones from more than bison...not sure whether to cross or not cross my fingers on that one for good luck.

So far most of it has been fairly well articulated. The thoracic vertebrae are the head scratcher to me. If the creek existed shortly after it’s death and water did some rearrangement of bones, the thoracic vertebrae would have had to have floated upstream and then flipped 180 from the rest of beasts body from the left side to the right. So far everything else seems to indicate the beast was laying on its left side. Everything besides the thoracic vertebrae have been oriented that way, besides the stuff that had fallen from the bank. That I cannot speak for its left to right position, but it was in relative articulation to where it should have been compared to what is in the bank.

The place where I found the other jaw fragment was upstream about 40 feet, but off to the side in sort of a large dried out oxbow in the creek, that looks like it floods during heavy rain.

Herb

Way to go, Kim :yay-smiley-1:

Al Tahan

These are some pretty cool finds I must say B).......I wonder what an estimated age would be for these. You think on the order of 100s or 1000s of years?

This is some textbook stream geomorphology at work!! It must have been buried on a flood plain or pointbar very long ago. As the river changes shape and direction it cuts back into its own flood deposits. Many years at work....had to be many 100s of years at least. Like you said it  has still a lot of overburden with tree growth above. If it was mostly articulated like you said it had to have buried somewhat quickly.....flood!!! 

Really cool!! A lot of information can come from seemingly nothing. :envy:

Al Tahan

It’s prolly older (to us)...few thousand years? Maybe 1000-5000 years ago?? Large range I know but I don’t know enough so say anything other than the your description of the stream geomorphology would indicate something decently old to us mere humans. If things happened really fast maybe 500 years for a young guess? 

Ptychodus04
33 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

@Ptychodus04 does a lot of fossil prep for people in the area and otherwise. He lives in the DFW metroplex somewhere I believe. He said "Most late Pleistocene material is actually sub fossil bone. All bison that I have worked on have been this way and most mammoth material is as well." So, this could well be Pleistocene.

Kim, this a great thread and you are doing well. Are you by chance sketching out a relatively accurate nine map while you excavate? This will be invaluable if you ever decide to mount this beast.

You are definitely digging in Late Pleistocene deposits at the oldest. Anything in DFW that’s not Cretaceous is Pleistocene or recent and most of the Pleistocene stuff is in river deposits so seeing bones moved around should be expected. Judging from the matrix and the look of the bones in the photos, my inclination is Pleistocene rather than recent.

Very exciting stuff!

KimTexan
27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Kim, this a great thread and you are doing well. Are you by chance sketching out a relatively accurate nine map while you excavate? This will be invaluable if you ever decide to mount this beast.

You are definitely digging in Late Pleistocene deposits at the oldest. Anything in DFW that’s not Cretaceous is Pleistocene or recent and most of the Pleistocene stuff is in river deposits so seeing bones moved around should be expected. Judging from the matrix and the look of the bones in the photos, my inclination is Pleistocene rather than recent.

Very exciting stuff!

Thank you very much Kris for that insight. I have thought it was Pleistocene, but I didn't trust my inexperience to make the official call.

A "nine map"? Would that be site map with auto-correct?  I am taking pics of almost every bone as I find it and listing what was found together. I have a lot more pics I have not posted for my documentation. So I have the association of bones with the others. It is easy to get excited and forget about taking pics though occasionally. I forgot to take a pic of the rib in situ.  I take pics of the group found what day together so that I know what was found when. I have not taken pics of all the stray, non in situ bones as they lay when found. Some I have.

Ludwigia

You sure are being forced through this experience to learn a lot quickly, but it sure is worth it, ain't it?