Compton, Isle of Wight, UK - "By the book"

Steven Haggerty

Hi all,

After reading the "Geologists' guide to The Isle of Wight" I popped out to Compton Bay the other evening. 

Due to big spring tides I only had access to the Gault Clay and Upper Greensand area available at the far western end of the bay.

As you can see from Compton Chine, it was windy enough to blow the water upwards : (youtube link)

After a while I managed a few bits and pieces to start my collection. Every single one of the appeared exactly in the right section of the

book. This made identification somewhat easier. The book is a bit of a 'must have' for people like me, who are new to this. There were a few large

ammonite 'negatives' in some of the Greensand rocks, but I'll need to get down the there over low tide to investigate further.

Here's what I found from the short time I was there.

multi.thumb.JPG.b0ad2122215115b4e96bf5ba9f25f605.JPG

Here's a closeup of the ammonite, it has a lot of rock to be removed, but I don't have to tools (yet).

closeup2.thumb.JPG.19aa9c45741962c5374ba4cce86971ab.JPG

I'd thoroughly recommend getting this book, if you plan an Isle of Wight visit:

book.thumb.JPG.a76569dc038b1c8b795e8f9c5bede29b.JPG

Regards,

Steve.

• I found this Informative 5

Very nice finds! :)

I have a book called "Finding Fossils" co-written by Alan Insole which was invaluable to me as a child/ teenager/ young man and had a section on the Isle of Wight.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice finds, especially the Rotularia concava, which I just found out is/was a type of annelid/worm - super cool find!!! :dinothumb:

The tools will be easier to come by if you can contact or join a local rock/fossil club.  Great finds and welcome!