DanJeavs

6E4F2D40-6B2E-46C0-9DEB-625CBA68D9E3.thumb.jpeg.af1df33a719f917a478bf9f577e0682f.jpegSo here’s an interesting one. I’v been out this morning on the hunt, and did manage to pick a rather small one up. I decided to bring it back home while and whack it open in my workshop. What’s inside is most likely an Icthyosaur Corprolite, you can see tiny fragments of scales and ammonite parts inside it. 

• I found this Informative 1

35 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

So here’s an interesting one. I’v been out this morning on the hunt, and did manage to pick a rather small one up. I decided to bring it back home while and whack it open in my workshop. What’s inside is most likely an Icthyosaur Corprolite, you can see tiny fragments of scales and ammonite parts inside it. 

That's awesome!! :envy:

20 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

That's awesome!! :envy:

Thanks, was a pleasant surprise to find it, don’t usually come across them that often here :D

4 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

6E4F2D40-6B2E-46C0-9DEB-625CBA68D9E3.thumb.jpeg.af1df33a719f917a478bf9f577e0682f.jpegSo here’s an interesting one. I’v been out this morning on the hunt, and did manage to pick a rather small one up. I decided to bring it back home while and whack it open in my workshop. What’s inside is most likely an Icthyosaur Corprolite, you can see tiny fragments of scales and ammonite parts inside it. 

Nice find! I’ve not seen one in a concretion before but I do have 3 ichthyosaur coprolites from that area. 

I wonder what t would be like if the cannonball was glued back together and the coprolite prepped half out like an avocado :)

5 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

I’v been out this morning on the hunt, and did manage to pick a rather small one up. I decided to bring it back home while and whack it open in my workshop. What’s inside is most likely an Icthyosaur Corprolite, you can see tiny fragments of scales and ammonite parts inside it. 

Marvelous find.

It looks rather nice too.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Nice find! I’ve not seen one in a concretion before but I do have 3 ichthyosaur coprolites from that area. 

I wonder what t would be like if the cannonball was glued back together and the coprolite prepped half out like an avocado :)

That would be amazing! :fistbump:

10 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I know a few guys that have bowled them out with poo inside. It’s just a heck of a lot of work with the pyrite content. It’s brutal on the pen stylus. Maybe I’ll do it though :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That would be amazing! :fistbump:

I might have to bowl it out and do it when I get time, currently got a disgusting amount of Ammonites to prep. Working on a real nice piece tomorrow that’s rare(ish). Just waiting for the glued pieces to set. 

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Marvelous find.

It looks rather nice too.:)

Who’d have thought poo could look so good :hearty-laugh:

• 6 months later...

I have a question if you dont mind. How in good grief did you get it open? Ive found a couple of cannonballs in Yorkshire which were SO hard to open up- but then they were empty. i ended up just bashing little bits off, and made a complete mess. Are cannonballs easier to open if they have something inside? Do you cut with a diamond blade or crack with a hammer? Thanks x

On 17/08/2019 at 6:25 PM, Fossilywend said:

I have a question if you dont mind. How in good grief did you get it open? Ive found a couple of cannonballs in Yorkshire which were SO hard to open up- but then they were empty. i ended up just bashing little bits off, and made a complete mess. Are cannonballs easier to open if they have something inside? Do you cut with a diamond blade or crack with a hammer? Thanks x

An 8lb sledge and hitting the nodule at an angle. Then it’s just hope for the best. I’ve destroyed plenty, it’s just luck of the draw with them, as is all fossil collecting.