My Collection

Dracarys

On 2/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, jpc said:

Nice stuff... is the trike skull a cast?  

No, it’s orginal. It is a juvenile that was unearthed in Montana this past summer. It’s 3 1/2 feet long with about 20% restoration. I like the smaller size since the adults can be 7 feet long. Where in the heck would u display that? 

On 2/7/2019 at 7:28 PM, Dracarys said:

No, it’s orginal. It is a juvenile that was unearthed in Montana this past summer. It’s 3 1/2 feet long with about 20% restoration. I like the smaller size since the adults can be 7 feet long. Where in the heck would u display that? 

You could go the route of George Powell and have your collection displayed in a separate wing of your house! (If you ever go to NC I highly recommend giving that man a visit, extremely knowledgeable and great all around guy). I remember he had glass cases for some of his larger fossils resting upon shelves for the many smaller fossils. 

13 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

You could go the route of George Powell and have your collection displayed in a separate wing of your house! (If you ever go to NC I highly recommend giving that man a visit, extremely knowledgeable and great all around guy). I remember he had glass cases for some of his larger fossils resting upon shelves for the many smaller fossils. 

That sure would be nice! Can’t wait to have an “East wing” in my house someday. Haha!

So I have access to an X-ray machine and it has been so cool to do films on my collection. Good to see what restoration was done. First one is my struthy claw and second is my oreodont skull

5C9BE8B8-391C-4340-8F18-6F08A03BA7A7.jpeg

97C0DC52-9447-4CA9-9CD3-CE40C67FDD63.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice insight,

You could frame them as use them as posters!:ighappy:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

1 hour ago, ReptileTooth said:

Nice insight,

You could frame them as use them as posters!:ighappy:

Haha! Ur right. That does look like something I can buy from Pier 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:28 PM, Dracarys said:

Hmmmm... interesting.  I have not heard of many juvie trike skulls.  The reason I ask is not so much the size, but I don't see bone texture on the frill or the horns....  

I agree looks like the frill is not real as well the jugal and horns.Where are the epoccipitals they should be big in a juvie?  20% resto hard to believe.   

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Hmmmm... interesting.  I have not heard of many juvie trike skulls.  The reason I ask is not so much the size, but I don't see bone texture on the frill or the horns....  

3 hours ago, TyBoy said:

I agree looks like the frill is not real as well the jugal and horns.Where are the epoccipitals they should be big in a juvie?  20% resto hard to believe.   

I oversimplified when describing the skull. There is 50% original specimen bone and 30% composited bone. 80% trike bone total. The majority of the composited bone is in the frill as seen in a schematic provided by the prepper (I have several drawings but this is the easiest to see). Putty was used for the remainder and to bind the components. I will be receiving more proveneance on the specimen when I receive it at the end of the month and will be able to take more detail pics. The digger is very reputable and so I do not feel there to be any deception. Thank you for your comments.  

FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, jpc said:

4 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Putty drawing

FullSizeRender-6.jpeg

28 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

So it’s 50% of what was dug up then?

Not sure if I understand the question, but they recovered every part of the original skull they could find, which consisted in total, 50% of the skull. The prepper had triceratops fossil pieces that they had collected through the many years and reconstructed the missing pieces with as much real triceratops fossil bone as possible (composited bone) and then the rest was putty. I am a total newb so I am learning this as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I was able to CT scan my eggs and realized that the are only empty fossilized egg shells. Additionally, they are not complete and the matrix is poured into the shells and a base made. On the CT image, you can see the rind of the egg on top and sides but that it does not extend all the way around. The center of the eggs is the same consistency as the matrix base. Kinda disappointed. Does anyone know have info on the process of how these are created? Thanks

Egg2.jpg

57239589219__00DB3F0E-115C-4F84-B810-EB894208C891.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Was able to add few additional pieces this weekend. First is a nice rooted Trike tooth and second is a juvenile trike ungal. Wish the fungal wasn't missing a section. Enjoy. More stuff coming. 

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Also added a new ankylosaurus scute. This one is large and heavy and has a nice spike. There is some restoration on it and so I will be x-raying it this week to see how much. Wish I knew which part of the region on the animal this was from. 

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Hi,

15 hours ago, Dracarys said:

First is a nice rooted Trike tooth and second is a juvenile trike ungal.

IMG_0298.jpg

Trike ? :headscratch::blush: :(

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

37 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Trike ? :headscratch::blush: :(

Coco

An abbreviation for Triceratops

:blink: :doh!:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

:blink: :doh!:

Coco

Don't beat yourself up. I didn't know it either up until 8 weeks. I am a total newb...

Last thing I obtained this weekend was a captorhinus skull with its vertebral column. The skull is restored and kept in the matrix where it was found. The matrix is amazing in that there are hundreds of fossil fragments of other specimens. 

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Here are pictures of the matrix with the bone fragments. Near the center of the last pic, you can see 3 teeth from a jaw fragment. What cool animals these were. Enjoy!

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dracarys said:

Here are pictures of the matrix with the bone fragments. Near the center of the last pic, you can see 3 teeth from a jaw fragment. What cool animals these were. Enjoy!

Very cool, love the skull with all the bone fragments. Do you know where it was found?

7 hours ago, rebu said:

Very cool, love the skull with all the bone fragments. Do you know where it was found?

It was obtained from Lawton county, Oklahoma. This is where a large amount of Permian remains were collected but the quarry is now closed to the public. Shame.