Triassic Petrified wood

Douglas B Hill

Congratulations. Some really nice specimens. I haven't seen a lot of Triassic petrified wood from the east coast so this is truly special.

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow... some big chunks. What do you do with them, are you set up to take slices, polish, etc?

Usually, I give them away to young budding geology students, scouts taking my merit badge, or trade them for things I can use to display in my collection for teaching those same kids.  The larger specimens do find a good display location in my collection.  The one I am holding was found on the edge of a creek.  

EC22EA3C-D733-471E-9E1D-D24F91FC8458.jpeg

F8850052-22CE-4843-975E-EB960FD944DA.jpeg

F861684F-511C-4512-B053-D5D44C31F1B0.jpeg

5 hours ago, fossi59 said:

Nice pieces. This is going to be a big campfire!

Franz

Yes but a slow burner!  

Like Jeffrey, I  haven't seen a lot of East Coast Triassic wood... usually just the stuff from Petrified Forest.

I'm wondering how well it would take a polish and what kind of detail they would show if you were to do that. Do you have the equipment or access to it?

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Like Jeffrey, I  haven't seen a lot of East Coast Triassic wood... usually just the stuff from Petrified Forest.

I'm wondering how well it would take a polish and what kind of detail they would show if you were to do that. Do you have the equipment or access to it?

I have plenty of it.   I do not have access to cut it at the moment.  Looking for a volunteer. :)

I've got a saw, but I wouldn't want to ask you to send me a piece as it is getting stupidly expensive to ship a rock across our mutual border these days! There might be another member in the US who could do it for you.

Reach out to me via a PM.  I will see what I can do.  I am currently looking for some coastal areas to take our group.  Perhaps we can help each other.