I believe this is mosasaur tooth, any other ideas?

Gavin

I am only responding because I feel like we're having a conversation this evening, so I apologize if my answers aren't the right ones. I am simply giving my opinions and two cents. In my limited opinion, it seems possible that it's Mosasaur. The shape and curvature seem right, and they're known in the area. It looks like the ones I have in my collection, but mine are from Morocco. I am really just a trilobite dude, but I like being active in conversations on the forum. I say you're on the money on this one. But, then again, Mosasaur are not early marine invertebrates....

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I do not have the tooth gift. I just don’t find teeth for some reason. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to the NSR, but never a mosasaur tooth. I have a couple fish and a shark. I go there to hunt cephalopods, but I find other cool stuff. 2 times ago was a good trip. I found a lobster claw, turtle bits, mosasaur verts, ammonites, baculites, Pleistocene bone and some arthropod of some sort. I love the variety of the NSR.

Somewhere further east there is even hadrosaur material in the river.

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

I do not have the tooth gift. I just don’t find teeth for some reason. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to the NSR, but never a mosasaur tooth. I have a couple fish and a shark. I go there to hunt cephalopods, but I find other cool stuff. 2 times ago was a good trip. I found a lobster claw, turtle bits, mosasaur verts, ammonites, baculites, Pleistocene bone and some arthropod of some sort. I love the variety of the NSR.

Somewhere further east there is even hadrosaur material in the river.

Yes, I have plenty of baculites

I learn something new on this forum every time I log in. I make a point to check out threads that are outside of my realm, and it's led to an awful lot of knowledge about things that I have never had firsthand experience with. But, as I mentioned, it leaves me with a lot of educated opinions and not as many definitive answers. But that's the beauty of TFF! This site will pretty much give you a layman's degree in paleontology if you're willing to read and learn!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

I learn something new on this forum every time I log in. I make a point to check out threads that are outside of my realm, and it's led to an awful lot of knowledge about things that I have never had firsthand experience with. But, as I mentioned, it leaves me with a lot of educated opinions and not as many definitive answers. But that's the beauty of TFF! This site will pretty much give you a layman's degree in paleontology if you're willing to read and learn!

I believe it!