"Preparing" teeth in matrix for beginners

jdiaz55

Hi all! I am new to the forum and relatively new to fossil collecting. I would like to try my hand at preparation, but am not sure where to start. It seems like purchasing mosasaur teeth still embedded in matrix and slowly working to get them out might be a good way to practice with cheap and easily obtainable fossils, but I do not know how to go about this.

In my head I imagine purchasing a few 20-30 dollar teeth with matrix, chisels, and scribers to be a great and (relatively) cheap way to begin practicing various techniques that I intend use for the rest of my life, is there anything else I need to be aware of, or perhaps other recommended forms of practicing preparation and removal of fossils from rock for beginners with a plethora of patience/time? 

Hopefully this makes sense!

Based on my experience, I find it extremely difficult to prep my Moroccan mosasaur matrix without specialized tools (using stuff like a needle). Although it could be possible that my fossils were simply treated to keep it in one piece.

Based on my experience, STH matrix are one of the easiest to prep with. The siltstone can easily be scratched off with a needle and the larger fossils are pretty strong against such needle. GRF matrix are also a great material to prep with.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, jdiaz55 said:

Hopefully this makes sense!

Yes it does. Prepping fossils is (for many) a very satisfying endeavor. I find it generates a state of alert relaxation, which I find akin to meditation. Your inquiry would require a lot of ground to be covered for a proper response. In lieu of that effort, I recommend you start delving into the myriad of entries to this Forum topic. To start, here is a link to an old prep series that I believe demonstrates what can be accomplished with simple tools. Of course, everything depends on the nature of the matrix and the characteristics of the fossil project. Good luck, have fun. You are in the right place.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

Based on my experience, I find it extremely difficult to prep my Moroccan mosasaur matrix without specialized tools (using stuff like a needle). Although it could be possible that my fossils were simply treated to keep it in one piece.

I had exactly the opposite experience, matrix from Khouribga phosphates is usually very soft and easy to prep with a simple needle. Dealers sometimes cover it with some hardening solutions though which makes prep work very annoying. Also, many of the smaller specimens found in those blocks of matrix (like sawfish rostral teeth, sharks and fish) could be very fragile so you have to be careful. 

You can also get some matrix from Aguja formation with croc and small dinosaur teeth, it is quite cheap and interesting to prep because of high concentration of teeth.

The Tooth Fairy

3 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

I had exactly the opposite experience, matrix from Khouribga phosphates is usually very soft and easy to prep with a simple needle. Dealers sometimes cover it with some hardening solutions though which makes prep work very annoying.

I believe that's what I'm facing. Every time try to prep my Moroccan mosasaur matrix, my needle always scrapes off without doing a thing to the matrix. 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

These Khorigba blocks tend to leave a trail of sandy matrix where ever they are, thus the consolidant application.

Jdiaz, I can probably help you out with some Moroccan block pieces if you want to try your skills.

PM me if interested.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Yes it does. Prepping fossils is (for many) a very satisfying endeavor. I find it generates a state of alert relaxation, which I find akin to meditation. Your inquiry would require a lot of ground to be covered for a proper response. In lieu of that effort, I recommend you start delving into the myriad of entries to this Forum topic. To start, here is a link to an old prep series that I believe demonstrates what can be accomplished with simple tools. Of course, everything depends on the nature of the matrix and the characteristics of the fossil project. Good luck, have fun. You are in the right place.

Snolly, thank you so much! Its that deep thinking meditative act of work that I've been aiming for, your response was incredibly kind and encouraging, I super appreciate you! Also I've gone through and read your whole thread there several times since you linked it and I must say it's been inspiring and delightful to imagine undertaking a project half as awesome as what you've done there. Thank you again for the help and thoughts!

11 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I believe that's what I'm facing. Every time try to prep my Moroccan mosasaur matrix, my needle always scrapes off without doing a thing to the matrix. 

Dang, I'll have to keep an eye out for that, thanks!

11 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

You can also get some matrix from Aguja formation with croc and small dinosaur teeth, it is quite cheap and interesting to prep because of high concentration of teeth.

Oh nice! That sounds pretty ideal, I'll look out for some, unless you can point me in the right direction (without breaking any forum rules, of course.)

A common practice with the Moroccan mosasaur teeth is to embed specimens with one good side and one bad side into a sandstone and glue matrix.  If you try to prep these out, you may be working against a glue matrix rather than pure rock.  If you can get some STH teeth, they are indeed much easier to work on.