Is this Sand Shark Tooth Modern or Fossil?

Bronzviking

8 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Brett, what do you think, fossil or modern? Thanks! @Brett Breakin' Rocks

My initial reaction if I'd pick this up would be 'wow' what a beautiful color for a fossil.  I've found a few 'bleached' teeth that have been in the sun  .... or leached of any color. Just like happening upon a modern shark tooth (which I never have) these teeth can be rare on beach sand.  My initial reaction when I saw this was definitely a mineralized fossil. It looks like it has seen some time in the water, some wear on the cusps etc...

The area around the base of the blade has me wondering though. And the further comments have me questioning my assumptions.  A dead shark rotting on the sand might be a possibility for transporting teeth ashore.  They can stain fairly quickly. Again, probably rare. I'm not familiar with the Venice area ... do you guys get other 'colors' ?  For the Tybee area this wouldn't be the most shocking find.  The quality would be rare, but the colors can vary so much here.

It's a nice tooth whatever its origins .... 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

My initial reaction if I'd pick this up would be 'wow' what a beautiful color for a fossil.  I've found a few 'bleached' teeth that have been in the sun  .... or leached of any color. Just like happening upon a modern shark tooth (which I never have) these teeth can be rare on beach sand.  My initial reaction when I saw this was definitely a mineralized fossil. It looks like it has seen some time in the water, some wear on the cusps etc...

The area around the base of the blade has me wondering though. And the further comments have me questioning my assumptions.  A dead shark rotting on the sand might be a possibility for transporting teeth ashore.  They can stain fairly quickly. Again, probably rare. I'm not familiar with the Venice area ... do you guys get other 'colors' ?  For the Tybee area this wouldn't be the most shocking find.  The quality would be rare, but the colors can vary so much here.

It's a nice tooth whatever its origins .... 

Cheers,

Brett

Brett, That's what I thought what a beautiful color tooth! I don't care if it is modern or a fossil it's a keeper! :D

We don't need dead sharks to harvest their teeth. Sharks have 5 to 6 rows of teeth with approximately 300 teeth in their mouth. Through the course of their life time, they shed approximately 24,000 teeth.

This was not found in the Venice area, it was found 60 miles north on a Tampa Bay beach, IRB. I was told fossilized shark and horse teeth come up here. I found some turtle scutes, ray plate, this sand tooth and bone frags but no other tooth yet. In Venice they are mostly black, brown, blue and grey but very water tumbled and worn. Thanks for looking. Lynn

3 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

We don't need dead sharks to harvest their teeth

Sure ... yeah we've had discussions on the forum before about how one might inadvertently find a modern tooth since they are so very rare. One way might be the transport of a dead animal onto the beach. But that's just speculation. The fossil teeth are much more numerous.