SCfossilhunter

Unknown whale species

SCfossilhunter

Found out at a land site in Summerville SC so not sure what layer it came from, but was found among Megs and angustidens and a few others. Was wondering if anyone had a better guess at what species of whale this came from, my Google researching didn't really pull up anything that looked terribly close. 

20190208_073821.jpg

SCfossilhunter

Other two pictures. 

20190208_073828.jpg

Peat Burns

caldigger

Looks like a Basilosaur type tooth.

Tidgy's Dad

Squalodon? 

SCfossilhunter

Thanks @sixgill pete, I was headed down there anyways tomorrow so I'll ask someone about it! 

MrR

Well, you learn something new every day. I just wonder what knowledge I lost in order to make room for this. :headscratch:

I guess squalodon teeth are something I can look out for when I go to STH when the wet season abates here in California? Unless, of course, the accessible layers there aren't quite old enough. It seems that 15 mya should put this in the realm of the possible.

While investigating, I found a very nice write-up on these creatures.
Squalodon, et.. al.

sixgill pete
1 hour ago, MrR said:

Well, you learn something new every day. I just wonder what knowledge I lost in order to make room for this. :headscratch:

I guess squalodon teeth are something I can look out for when I go to STH when the wet season abates here in California? Unless, of course, the accessible layers there aren't quite old enough. It seems that 15 mya should put this in the realm of the possible.

Squalodon, et.. al.

Squalodon is a whale from the Miocene and i do not believe is known from shark tooth hill. It is a relatively well known fossil. Teeth are not uncommon.

His tooth i believe is Eosqualodon. It is from the Oligocene. It is an earlier species and is relatively unknown.

fossilsonwheels
1 hour ago, MrR said:

Squalodon, et.. al.

I do not believe that any Squalodon are found in STH. The teeth you see listed for sale as Prosqualdon are an unidentified species of Odontoceti but are not prosqualodon.

ynot

Yeah, no squalidon in the STH deposits.

digit
21 hours ago, MrR said:

Yup. Just doesn't seem fair does it? ;)

The tooth that started this topic is drool-worthy awesome. Bobby @Boesse is a busy guy and when he resurfaces on the forum I can't wait to hear his input on this tooth. Pretty cool if it is from an earlier less well known species.

Cheers.

-Ken

ynot
7 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Prosqualodon has NEVER been reported from the southern hemisphere - only from Patagonia and Australia.

I thought that Patagonia and Australia are in the southern hemisphere.  Did You mean northern hemisphere?

Boesse

yes I did! edited.