Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fossilsonwheels

ID question... Is this an Ankylosaurine tooth ?

Recommended Posts

fossilsonwheels

This tooth is the right price for us and from the exact formation we want an ankylosaur fossil from. Species and tooth condition is not important. Is this tooth from an ankylosaurine dinosaur ?

I was not expecting to find an affordable tooth from the formation I want as soon as I started searching but I did. I was not really supposed to buy anything else right now but this is in my price range and one of the Judith River ankylosaurines is named after Zuul from Ghostbusters. That is a dino I want to talk about and that is why the species does not matter at all. No matter what Judith River Anky fossil we get, Zuul will be the presentation species lol My 45th B-day is a month away. My kids can get it for me :)

anky judith river #2.jpg

judith river anky 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daves64

Looks like they're displaying it in snow.. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Andy-

Agreed with TyBoy, it's a Nodosaur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TyBoy

Might find this interesting

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
3 hours ago, daves64 said:

Looks like they're displaying it in snow.. :wacko:

It does look like snow doesnt it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
3 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Looks like a Nodosaur tooth not a ankylosaurinae but close enough for your needs.  No tail club on these bad boys.

I actually found a post by @Troodon (shocking I know lol ) that shows the differences between ankylosaur and nodosaur teeth which was super helpful. It fits the bill for us for sure. I walked to my son and eventually I think we will get an ankylosaur tooth to use but as a starting point, this one works and it is inexpensive. Thank you Ty !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
3 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Agreed with TyBoy, it's a Nodosaur

And in the price range of nodosaur as you pointed out on my other post !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Might find this interesting

 

Ty I found that incredibly interesting and I plan on reading that again. I am totally fascinated by Zuul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TyBoy
33 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I actually found a post by @Troodon (shocking I know lol ) that shows the differences between ankylosaur and nodosaur teeth which was super helpful. It fits the bill for us for sure. I walked to my son and eventually I think we will get an ankylosaur tooth to use but as a starting point, this one works and it is inexpensive. Thank you Ty !!!

He's been the go to person on dinosaurs IDs and that post is how I learned to distinguish between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
28 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

He's been the go to person on dinosaurs IDs and that post is how I learned to distinguish between the two.

Lets see how I am doing with this. Same dealer had 2 other teeth that look like nodosaur and this one which looks different. This looks more like an ankylosaur tooth. I am seeing what I need to see to distinguish them or do I need to hit the books again ? lol

anky3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TyBoy

Nope a quick learner, Anky..tooth :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
16 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Am I seeing what I need to see to distinguish them or do I need to hit the books again ? lol

Tis better for you to hit the books, than for a book to hit you! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
38 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Nope a quick learner, Anky..tooth :D

I have found it very helpful with Dinosaur collecting to be a quick study Ty. Thank you though this does change my thinking just a tad. It is more expensive but  I am not 100% sure that the cheaper option is best in this case. I can make the case in my head that it makes more sense to not bargain shop this one time though my wallet is not in agreement with my brain at the moment lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels
38 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Tis better for you to hit the books, than for a book to hit you! ;)

Well said lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilsonwheels

I did not go for the bargain this time. The dealer was willing to hold it for a little bit so it does not crunch the budget too much. We have spent much less than we expected too while building this program. I can splurge a little bit. Happy early b-day to me. Right tooth from the right formation so we are getting the Anky not the nodosaur :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TyBoy
1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I did not go for the bargain this time. The dealer was willing to hold it for a little bit so it does not crunch the budget too much. We have spent much less than we expected too while building this program. I can splurge a little bit. Happy early b-day to me. Right tooth from the right formation so we are getting the Anky not the nodosaur :)

:dinothumb::ank:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×