TqB

A perfect gift I reckon -  I won this on the usual auction site a couple of weeks ago and was allowed to unwrap it today. :)   

It's a 22", 3.3lb Megateuthis suevica (formerly gigantea). (They do get longer, supposedly well over 30", even a yard. One day...)

It's now probably the star attraction of my belemnite collection (roughly a thousand specimens).

I have collected the same species in the UK but I've not heard of any reaching this sort of size here, about 14" being the maximum I know of. My longest Yorkshire coast one, 10", is shown in photo 3.

Middle Jurassic, Bajocian, reportedly from the Subfurcatum Zone (they're usually Humphriesianum, the zone below), temporary roadworks near Osnabrück, N. Germany, 1985.

5c61e602e3c35_IMG_24612.thumb.jpeg.b92c1ced0d4bb46e8f538b644fc07ba9.jpeg

IMG_3341.thumb.jpeg.3fa4ce3947ecd2e4ba740f52fa9741b7.jpeg

With 10" Yorkshire, UK specimen from the Scarborough Formation.

IMG_3343.thumb.jpeg.9bee81bc4c891a083da730e74052eba0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

Tarquin

Happy birthday Tarquin. I am glad you also get very sensible  gift too. That is a beautiful monster of a belemnite, stunning addition to your collection . All the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

How lovely... :wub:
It's an excellent gift, Tarquin!
Happy birthday to you! :yay-smiley-1:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Mioplosus---Happy-Birthday.gif.56f234c7286aaac58765412ccb067636.gif    That is one amazing belemnite fossil! Congratulations on your acquisition, and happy birthday!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

@TqB  :wub:  I was following that one! So you're the lucky guy that won it! It couldn't have found a better home! Congratulations!!! Yes, they can get quite large in the Subfurcatum Oolite. That's the lithographic formation. Zone is the niortense.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@TqB  :wub:  I was following that one! So you're the lucky guy that won it! It couldn't have found a better home! Congratulations!!! Yes, they can get quite large in the Subfurcatum Oolite. That's the lithographic formation. Zone is the niortense.

Many thanks, Roger, I wasn't going to let it get away though the bidding was a bit fierce!

Thanks for confirming Subfurcatum - the seller said he found Garantiana and Strenoceras with it, and Trigonia.

Re Niortense - having looked it up, I see that it's the sub-Mediterranean equivalent, which includes southern Germany. Northern Germany is N.W. European province so would still be Subfurcatum under that scheme - or has it changed again?!! (This one's from Osnabrück.)

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Many thanks, Roger, I wasn't going to let it get away though the bidding was a bit fierce!

Thanks for confirming Subfurcatum - the seller said he found Garantiana and Strenoceras with it, and Trigonia.

Re Niortense - having looked it up, I see that it's the sub-Mediterranean equivalent, which includes southern Germany. Northern Germany is N.W. European province so would still be Subfurcatum under that scheme - or has it changed again?!! (This one's from Osnabrück.)

Hmmm...Looks like I might not have been quite up to date, or I was going by the southern German situation, so I checked out our Lithographisches Lexikon (Sorry. It's only in German). The northern German lithographic unit is called the Garantianenton Formation, the upper part being designated as the Garantianen "Schichten" (Beds) and the lower as the Subfurcaten "Schichten", the former corresponding to the garantiana zone and the latter to the niortense zone. So it appears that the sub-Mediterranean definition still applies in Osnabrück. I suppose that if the seller used the name Subfurcatum, then it must have been found in the lower section. 

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

34 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

The northern German lithographic unit is called the Garantianenton Formation, the upper part being designated as the Garantianen "Schichten" (Beds) and the lower as the Subfurcaten "Schichten", the former corresponding to the garantiana zone and the latter to the niortense zone. So it appears that the sub-Mediterranean definition still applies in Osnabrück. I suppose that if the seller used the name Subfurcatum, then it must have been found in the lower section. 

Many thanks for the clarification, Roger.  That's all clear and I've added it to the label. :) 

Tarquin

Excellent addition, Tarquin!

A Happy Belated Birthday to you! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Belated happy birthday Tarquin :yay-smiley-1: And congrats to the great acquisition!!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 12/02/2019 at 10:16 PM, belemniten said:

Belated happy birthday Tarquin :yay-smiley-1: And congrats to the great acquisition!!

Thanks, Sebastian!

Tarquin