keldeo072

Hey guys, I am fairly certain that this is a straight-shelled nautiloid cephlapod but this one is different from others I find. I find a lot of fragments from cephlapods in Cincinnati with only a few segments. This one seems like the whole shell, though it is 7.5 centimeters in length. Also one side has a bunch of holes which I am curious about. Any more info on this specimen would be much appreciated. Found in a creek so it has probably been weathered a lot.

ce.thumb.jpg.6e7ce9ec3998e1e092cf7eea02bb865f.jpg

ce3.thumb.jpg.b5e0af0c56fbb28db609e74162ac1b75.jpg

These next pictures are the top and bottom, (i dont know why they are flipped to the left)

20190212_181300.jpg20190212_181313.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The little holes look like boring of some sort.

I does look like a cephalopod of some kind. I don’t know the fossils from that area.

@Herb may have some thoughts.

• I found this Informative 1

+1 on a straight-shelled nautiloid, can clearly see the siphuncle.

Do you know the formation the fossil comes from? From some quick reading it could be from the Fairview, Great Lake or Bull Fork formations, or possibly another. Likely someone on the forum can save you the work below and might be able to visually identify without more information, but if you're interested in learning more check link below.

'Middle and Upper Ordovician Nautiloid Cephalopods of the Cincinnati Arch Region of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio, U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1066-P' might help you in working out which formation the fossil is from and possibly identifying the species. All the page numbers listed are the PDF page numbers, rather than the publications original page numbers.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1066p/report.pdf

Pg. 10-14: Lists and details the Ordovician strata exposed in the Cincinnati arch region of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.

Pg. 17-24: Tables listing species of nautiloid cephalopods found across the different formations.

Pg. 29 onwards: Details methodology of classifying nautiloid species, Figure 4, Pg. 31 and Figure 5, Pg. 32 contain useful information.

• I found this Informative 7

very worn cephalopod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Not sure about the age/stratigraphy of the place where you found it, but the specimen reminds me a bit of the nautiloid Moorefieldoceras yochelsoni from the Early Carboniferous of Arkansas...

Early Carbonif. Nautiloids from Arkansas

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile