Quality of this neovenator tooth?

Pterygotus

I saw this neovenator tooth for sale. What is the quality/rarity of it? (World class, museum quality, rare, average) it is 2.8cm from Compton bay, the Isle of Wight 

CB806B22-2FF3-4B5D-B0F8-3F4140479E84.png

B8798430-1882-444C-969F-79678BD39E7C.png

All Uk theropods are rare, but you can't determine the species of this tooth by just looking at Photos. 

More info can be found in this topic about the same tooth: 

• I found this Informative 4

Yep the quality looks great buts thats about all that can be said about this tooth.   Without a Multivariate analysis to understand the key characteristics, pictures are just a piece of the puzzle to try to identify rare teeth

• I found this Informative 6

3 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

I saw this neovenator tooth for sale. What is the quality/rarity of it? (World class, museum quality, rare, average) it is 2.8cm from Compton bay, the Isle of Wight 

I would be curious to see if you can obtain an accurate serration count etc from the seller or macro shots of the serrations on both sides with a scale next to it. Just would be good information to know from the seller but I doubt you will get any pictures of it.

• I found this Informative 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I took a look at a couple of publications of isolated jurassic teeth from Germany and Portugal.  What is clear is that a positive ID of isolated teeth is very problematic and very difficult to assign to a specific genus.   All are described as morphologies A thru X with the possibility of being x or xx.   What I did find interesting is that none of the teeth that had the possibility of being Neovenator had a twist to their mesial carina like the one being sold, all were straight.  Not sure if that a red flag or what but at least its an amber alert.

• I found this Informative 2

33 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I took a look at a couple of publications of isolated jurassic teeth from Germany and Portugal.  What is clear is that a positive ID of isolated teeth is very problematic and very difficult to assign to a specific genus.   All are described as morphologies A thru X with the possibility of being x or xx.   What I did find interesting is that none of the teeth that had the possibility of being Neovenator had a twist to their mesial carina like the one being sold, all were straight.  Not sure if that a red flag or what but at least its an amber alert.

Hey sorry I am a noob and keep forgetting the difference is the mesial carina on this side? This is useful info to check on my tooth @Troodon

20190216_135015.png

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

46 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hey sorry I am a noob and keep forgetting the difference is the mesial carina on this side?

Yes, that's the mesial carina.

• I found this Informative 1

On 16/02/2019 at 1:30 PM, Troodon said:

What do you make of my Neovenator? Originally it was thought that it was a Eotyrannus but now people believe it may be a pre max of a Neovenator. Have you ever come across any like it?

9F311AAF-111A-4728-A97D-8E5EA38515CA.jpeg

266EF6F6-565C-47CF-A549-85FB60676B48.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I dont see these teeth very much so not much I can tell you.  All I can say again it does not fit what has been published but that does not exclude that they are not one.  Its a beautiful tooth.  Lots of theropods in the jurassic and just because one has not been described does not mean its not present.

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I dont see these teeth very much so not much I can tell you.  All I can say again it does not fit what has been published but that does not exclude that they are not one.  Its a beautiful tooth.  Lots of theropods in the jurassic and just because one has not been described does not mean its not present.

Cool thanks! I’d love to see a link to the paper if you have an electronic copy to hand.

Hopefully it is a Neovenator, but a partially rooted theropod from the Isle of Wight is still a good find 

32 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Cool thanks! I’d love to see a link to the paper if you have an electronic copy to hand.

Hopefully it is a Neovenator, but a partially rooted theropod from the Isle of Wight is still a good find 

On 17/02/2019 at 8:38 PM, Troodon said:

Thanks. It’s still not conclusive but I am confident the tooth I own is Neovenator