Dinosaur egg clutch

Crazyhen

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

They look real to me with a bit of repair?  But some fakes are sooooo good nowadays im always afraid to really say much.   @Crazyhen  When you are satisfied with a fossil, do you buy all these fossils?  

RB

• I found this Informative 2

Quite the piece @Crazyhen, for an important reason I will refrain from going into great detail on my reasoning. I suspect there is at least one real egg, one mosaic, and one cast or composite. It appears to be real eggs combined with fakes in an effort to enhance the overall value. Certainly seems to show repair/restoration, maybe even full composite, work present in three of the eggs. Understand, with just a single picture I could be incorrect but there is my educated guess.

• I found this Informative 6

In the end all of the material Crazyhen shows us really needs a first hand inspection to validate member input.  Photos only go so far.  Hopefully you have an opportunity to do a final inspection on those you acquire.  

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

In the end all of the material Crazyhen shows us really needs a first hand inspection to validate member input.  Photos only go so far.  Hopefully you have an opportunity to do a final inspection on those you acquire.  

I agree, you are spot on, as with most IDs there is simply no substituent for looking at the material in person.

I think an analysis of each egg would be necessary as regards this particular clutch at least concerning overall authentication as regards the same. Another question to ask oneself would be if any eggs were added to this clutch to increase it’s desirability in the collectors market. Agree with others hard to tell from just one photo more detailed photos would be necessary. Nothing beats actually inspecting the fossil in question although I realize that’s not always possible. 

9 hours ago, RJB said:

They look real to me with a bit of repair?  But some fakes are sooooo good nowadays im always afraid to really say much.   @Crazyhen  When you are satisfied with a fossil, do you buy all these fossils?  

RB

Haha, I wish I could acquire all the fossils I posted and that are considered genuine.  No, I didn't have the money to buy all these fossils but I am really curious as to the authenticity of these fossils and so I am seeking comments from TTF.

Too bad that it is unlikely that one could inspect the fossils in hand before purchase and usually the photos are not of high resolution.  For fossils from China, one would have to take risk sometimes to acquire a fossil.  You get fake ones sometimes, and we call it here as paying a tuition fee to learn :P

What about this single egg?  It's also from Henan but it is much bigger in size than individual egg of the egg clutch above.

IMG_8811.JPG

You see, this is a perfect example.  This last egg you just posted, 4 photos, looks very real to me but being that im so scared of good quality fakes, I would be too afraid to purchace this.  Unless the price was a screamin deal!

RB

The last egg looks real enough to me.

The clutch looks like they are real, with possible composition. Hard to give an accurate answer without close-ups and more pictures though.

Anyway I am headed off to the army so I won't be able to reply till this weekend at the earliest.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I can't tell about the clutch without better picture.

The single egg looks based off the pictures, unprepped and covered in calcite.

Would agree with the others @Crazyhen, the single egg is likely real, though unpreped which means key details to determine authenticity could be hidden.

Edited by CBchiefski
Added call out

I was told that the eggs are real but have done repairs.  It’s said that they use steel tools to dig out the eggs and that’s why we see scratches and dents in the shell.  Thanks everyone for your advice.