Baryonyx Tooth?

BonuFrailman

Hi all,

Looking for a Baryonyx tooth, and found this. Wondering if this may be one.

Sellers description:

Ultra Rare GENUINE BARYONYX FOSSIL DINOSAUR TOOTH Upper Cretaceous Period 68 Million Years Old Found: Atherfield Isle of Wight UK Measures Approx: 28mm x 8mm x 6mm

il_1140xN.1732819672_54ak.jpg

il_1140xN.1780278393_ml59.jpg

il_1140xN.1780278421_707w.jpg

il_1140xN.1780278549_sk50.jpg

One of the key characteristic of these teeth are very fine serrations on both the mesial and distal carina, around 7 denticles per mm.  Is there anyway you can get the sellers to validate that?

It appears to be a Spinosaurid, not a croc species, and does not seemed to be faked using a Spinosaurus aegypticus, as the preservation rings true.  I am unable to see serrations on the blade edge of the tooth.  That does not mean they are not there, or were not there.

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, TyBoy said:

One of the key characteristic of these teeth are very fine serrations on both the mesial and distal carina, around 7 denticles per mm.  Is there anyway you can get the sellers to validate that?

I'll send the seller a message right now.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, TyBoy said:

Seller can't seem to find any but to me it looks like the tooth has the granular texture unique to the Baryonyx on it. 

I would lean towards this is being Baryonyx.  The fine serrations would make it 100% certain.  It does have the wide fluting, slight curvature and barrel shape

Sorry but looking at the condition of the tooth it is hard to say as it is worn. I also posted about this same tooth a while back and characteristics of this tooth to point towards a baryonyx tooth is that the surface of this tooth closely matches that of the described surface texture of baryonychine teeth from Portugal (“finely granular" surface texture). The tooth also appears to have fluting which is nice however unfortunately, there is nothing conclusive in this tooth that can make someone say it is definitely a baryonyx tooth. The more characteristics you can validate the better you are insuring it's Baryonyx and serrations (although lacking on this tooth) are very key.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png