Ok..it Can Bite, But How?

Frank Menser

Ok..Found this at the pond and I am pretty certain it is yet another Enchodus tooth, though there are differences. This one is thicker at the base. However, the bone it sets in is of a shape different from the others I have found. My reference pics didn't match this, so my question for the fish experts is...where in the jaw would this fit?

post-1313-12541801330884_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12541801632751_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12541801922055_thumb.jpg

(Sorry about the blur in that one shot. It was taken looking staight down at the tooth so the bone beneath would display better).

Be true to the reality you create.

Ok..Found this at the pond and I am pretty certain it is yet another Enchodus tooth, though there are differences. This one is thicker at the base. However, the bone it sets in is of a shape different from the others I have found. My reference pics didn't match this, so my question for the fish experts is...where in the jaw would this fit?

post-1313-12541801330884_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12541801632751_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12541801922055_thumb.jpg

(Sorry about the blur in that one shot. It was taken looking staight down at the tooth so the bone beneath would display better).

Are you sure it's Enchodus? those enchodus teeth are more triangular in cross section. That looks more reptilian to me.

Edited by bowkill

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Frank,

At first blush, I have to agree with the other two. It might be a mosasaur tooth. Is the light area in the first pic part of the replacement tooth "pocket"?

Here's a mosasaur pterygoid for reference.

post-420-12541842766747_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Frank,

At first blush, I have to agree with the other two. It might be a mosasaur tooth. Is the light area in the first pic part of the replacement tooth "pocket"?

Here's a mosasaur pterygoid for reference.

post-420-12541842766747_thumb.jpg

I would say mosasaur for sure I find them quite often in the Lumber river

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

post-1313-12542329986029_thumb.jpg

Here are some Mosasaur teeth I collected within a few feet of this. I agree this looks Mos to me, but earlier on this forum another piece (with a badly broken tooth was IDed as being Enchodus that looked Mos to me as well. When placed side by side they look like they came from the same jaw.

post-1313-12542332705895_thumb.jpg post-1313-12542335887981_thumb.jpg

One of the problems is that in both cases there is a lot of erosion wear (obscurring detail). I am thinking then that my hunch on the first one was correct and that both pieces are mosasaur.

Incidently, rsmull (who was hunting with me) found yet another larger fragment of Mos jaw.

Be true to the reality you create.