Fossils on Wheels received another generous donation to our education programs this week. TFF member @Herb sent us a box of super cool invertebrates. He sent us a diversity of fossils from the Southern US that cover a wide range of eras. These fossils will be given to students in fossil starter kits and used in hands-on activities. Herb's donation is also awesome because this pushes me to learning a lot more about invertebrate fossils. One of the best parts of teaching kids about natural history through fossil exploration is that I get to learn a lot. Good teachers learn and challenge themselves so they can challenge their students. I do not have a lot of knowledge about these types of animals but I am so excited to start learning.

Among the fossils we received were-

Mississippian Corals and Brachiopods from Kentucky, Crinoid stems and Silurian sponges from Tennessee, Cretaceous Gastropods from Texas, and Eocene Bivalves from Alabama.

Thank you Herb for a generous donation that will get put to good use :)

20190223_222404-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Excellent.:)

@Herbis one of the many generous members who help make this forum a pleasure to be a part of. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wonderful to see @fossilsonwheels. If you are truly using the fossils for teaching or freely giving them to kids, I could send you some of my personal shark teeth and marine fossils. They were ones collected back during my elementary through high school years. For professional reasons I will need a few assurances, send me a PM if you absolutely would not sell any I send.  

Edited by CBchiefski
Added call-out
  • I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent.:)

@Herbis one of the many generous members who help make this forum a pleasure to be a part of. 

I agree. It was a very generous donation. The smartest decision we made was joining the forum. We have learned so much and the members have directly contributed a lot of fossils that are going to end up in the hands of children :)

4 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

Wonderful to see @fossilsonwheels. If you are truly using the fossils for teaching or freely giving them to kids, I could send you some of my personal shark teeth and marine fossils. They were ones collected back during my elementary through high school years. For professional reasons I will need a few assurances, send me a PM if you absolutely would not sell any I send.  

I am happy to send a PM detailing our fossil use and giveaway policy. Since we are applying for 501c3 status, there are rules that guide our fossil use. There is also a post on here that details this.

13 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Fossils on Wheels received another generous donation to our education programs this week. TFF member @Herb sent us a box of super cool invertebrates. He sent us a diversity of fossils from the Southern US that cover a wide range of eras. These fossils will be given to students in fossil starter kits and used in hands-on activities. Herb's donation is also awesome because this pushes me to learning a lot more about invertebrate fossils. One of the best parts of teaching kids about natural history through fossil exploration is that I get to learn a lot. Good teachers learn and challenge themselves so they can challenge their students. I do not have a lot of knowledge about these types of animals but I am so excited to start learning.

Among the fossils we received were-

Mississippian Corals and Brachiopods from Kentucky, Crinoid stems and Silurian sponges from Tennessee, Cretaceous Gastropods from Texas, and Eocene Bivalves from Alabama.

Thank you Herb for a generous donation that will get put to good use :)

20190223_222404-1.jpg

My son is 17 and has collected with me for most of his life.  He is currently accruing service hours needed for college applications.  Fortunately, he's able to donate fossils and claim the hours associated with site travel to/from as well as actual collecting time.  He'd be happy to make a donation to your cause, and a letter of receipt with contact information in return would serve to document the donation.  Please PM your mailing address.  Win-win.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

My son is 17 and has collected with me for most of his life.  He is currently accruing service hours needed for college applications.  Fortunately, he's able to donate fossils and claim the hours associated with site travel to/from as well as actual collecting time.  He'd be happy to make a donation to your cause, and a letter of receipt with contact information in return would serve to document the donation.  Please PM your mailing address.  Win-win.

PM was sent and I agree,win-win :)