False sellers online

pugrockprincess

Hey everyone! You were all so great when it came to helping me determine what fossils were authentic and worth spending well on. Well, I recently came across an online seller. I purchased a "jaw bone" (authentic teeth, the typical fake jaw set in sand) and noticed they are now selling many more fossils that appear to be complete casts. Is it worth reporting them or could it be that they don't know much about fossils themselves and are being conned by their suppliers? They have 100% positive feedback so I guess their customers don't know what to look for either?

Screenshot_20190301-115056.jpg

Screenshot_20190301-115110.jpg

Screenshot_20190301-115126.jpg

Screenshot_20190301-115137.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Certainly a perennial problem, and it is not as likely that the popular auction sites will intervene -- much to the anger and frustration of our seasoned collectors who despise seeing new collectors cheated. Any action taken would mostly be focused on items that are illegal for sale on said sites (such as live animals or ivory tusks, biohazardous materials, etc.). 

Some of our members have attempted to reach out to some of these sellers and their dubious wares to let them know about the items. Sometimes the help is appreciated, and sometimes it is not. There's not really any enforcement mechanism in place, and to name and shame is not a viable option for legal reasons. 

The only thing we can do is to exercise that principle of caveat emptor. And, of course, to post anything we are uncertain of right here in this thread. :) Even if we could do more, it's a little like the game Whack-a-Mole, and for every unscrupulous seller removed, or uninformed seller enlightened, there are several more that will take their place. As infuriating and unjust as this situation may be, it is a task worthy of Sisyphus to set the fossil selling market to rights. :( 

Being cautious never hurts, and be mindful of the red flags... If the seller will not provide additional images, and provenance information if known, upon request, then it is best to take your business elsewhere. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer