Rock shows.

Joe_17

I'll be moving in a few months or so . I was informed there are some rock shows where i'll be moving too, so i might check those out. However my question is how can i know what i'm getting is real? Even if a vendor says they are real but i know it's not always the case. What can i look out for? Besides the obvious perfect placement of some fossils?

Depends on what type of fossil you are looking at. Trilobite molds tend to have air bubbles. Shark and dinosaur teeth can have fake roots or are composites of multiple teeth. Fish and lizard fossils sometimes have paint hiding lost details. The best way to determine if a fossil is real is to research it and become extremely familiar with what real specimens look like. Sometimes price can help guide you. Replicas, composites, and fakes usually cost considerably less than the real fossil. 

Curiously, which rock shows are you going to? 

• I found this Informative 1

Not quite sure yet . I'll be in Missouri so my fiance is more familiar with whats down there than me .

Post your fossils here on the Forum, under the Is It Real Forum., n before you buy, if you're able. 

That is the quickest way. 

The best way is to educate yourself, by reading through the Is it Real forum, and learn how to tell what is real, and what is fake. 

Education will stick with you for a lifetime. ;) ( or, at least until you get really old...     ...What were we talking about? ) :P 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me