Gilboa NY trace fossil? Root system?

Dsailor

Hi Folks,

Would appreciate any ideas on this one. My first thought is trace fossil since it branches in so many different ways. It is, however, black and the rest of the rock is brown which makes me think plant or vine type material. Was found  near Schoharie Creek in Gilboa NY. Middle Devonian, Gilboa Fm and where I was is full of both seafloor fossil hash (with brachiopods, crinoids, and trilobites) and Wattieza stem hash. What do you think?

G-1.jpg

g-2.jpg

g-3.jpg

g-4.jpg

It looks like there are ancient mudcracks.

link

mudcracks5.thumb.jpg.dc0646e646c14a476e8437d6a2e89beb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like trace fossils to me.

Something like Thalassinoides. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I like the mudcrack ID as well. Could be some other things going on in there as well but the overall pattern seems more mudcrack like. Mighty cool!

Regards, Chris 

13 hours ago, abyssunder said:

It looks like there are ancient mudcracks.

link

mudcracks5.thumb.jpg.dc0646e646c14a476e8437d6a2e89beb.jpg

Thanks, mudcracks make sense, there are a lot of seafloor ripple fossils out there so conditions were there to create it

20 minutes ago, Dsailor said:

Thanks, mudcracks make sense, there are a lot of seafloor ripple fossils out there so conditions were there to create it

Just how are sea floor ripples related to mud cracks ? regression ?

Interference patterns related to crossing currents can produce a pattern similar to this. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Just how are sea floor ripples related to mud cracks ? regression ?

Interference patterns related to crossing currents can produce a pattern similar to this. 

I would say regression and a location with calm enough conditions for that type of pattern to be preserved without being washed away. I think the fossil is too vague to really pinpoint what it is but thanks for the ideas

5 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I’m getting a filled mud crack vibe 

Yep, I think that's the case!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library