Shell fragments in matrix

OneLastSift

Hi. I recently went to Monmouth Beach near Long Branch. I was beachcombing and came across this piece on matrix. The reason I looked at it more closely was because I found a piece just like this and it had something that looked like a small shark tooth in it. When I looked closer at this piece, I found different shell fragments. There are usually no fossils found on this beach so I don't know what this is. 

IMG_3250.JPG.ffcf753185cbd510f9d13e6418443a80.JPGIMG_3251.JPG.5ce7db525a75270a2b163ae0b3d780ee.JPG

It might be a rock with shell fragments in it and nice pholad borings, in my thinking.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, ColeFossilFinder said:

So......... are they old shells? Also, is it worth cracking open?

Considering that the shell fragments are embedded in the consolidated matrix, I would say they are fossils.
I suggest to leave it as is.
It's a good looking specimen, BTW! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library