Hollardops mesocristata

CH Fossils

I´m certain that the fossil is real though im not sure of what degree of restoration that is done on the fossil. And im wondering if it looks like its covered in shoepolish or something? its kind of shiny in a unnatural way it seems

Thanks!

Skjermbilde 2019-03-19 kl. 13.56.40.png

• I found this Informative 1

It is certainly real, and as I mentioned elsewhere, it is customary that some form of surface treatment is applied to cover up areas of discolouration and scribe dings (which are largely unavoidable given the tough nature of the matrix). As these are fairly common, they are not worth faking. There may be a wee bit of restoration on the front end of the glabella, but it is very minor and largely unobtrusive. Reversing the process of the coating might be possible with acetone, but sample with a tiny area first. The eye lenses on this one are quite good!

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I've soaked one of these in acetone before, and it looked quite different afterwards. On the plus side, it was down to the natural surface, but on the other hand, you could see all the dings from prep.

Lots of dings but real for sure, not worth faking these , tons of them out there. Definitely not one that has been "shoe  polished"

These trilobites have the typical black exoskeleton, there may be some minor touch up, but I disagree about any heavy paint or "shoe polish". 

Looking at the fine detail, this one actually has variegated color on the eye lenses and palpebral lobes and thoracic segments and axial rings.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png