fossils I got from the hamburg gem and fossil show in hamburg N.Y.

matthew textor

Hi everyone this is matthew again

on  saturday 23 2019 I went to the hamburg fossil and gem show. 

when I went down there I got a very nice ammonite and a nice brittle star fossil 

the ammonite cost me $30.00 and the brittle star was $125.00 

here are some photos of them 

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

Really nice specimens Matt! Where are they from?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

they won't let me use my camera at the show for some reason which sucks a lot 

On 3/24/2019 at 3:50 PM, matthew textor said:

they won't let me use my camera at the show for some reason which sucks a lot 

Perhaps the main reason dealers don't like cameras at shows is that a ring of thieves will send someone around to take pictures of high-priced items and then show them to possible customers.  When someone is interested in something, a small group will go and try to steal it.  One person distracts the dealer while one or more shield another partner's quick move on the specimen.  That's why dealers try to have at least one other person in the booth all the time. 

A few years ago, I was helping a friend in his booth at Tucson.  My primary job was sitting at the front table and watching it.  It was late in the show and there were a lot of people around.  By that time all the regular buyers have come and gone so you get a mix of casual collectors, school kids (local schools go on field trips there during that last week) and people just looking.  One of my friend's customers called to say he was picking up his stuff and heading straight to the airport so he asked to have it all packaged so he could put it in his luggage.  My friend started wrapping but he was running out of time so he asked me to help him.  We got it all wrapped securely just in time, but after the customer left, he noticed an expensive meteorite was missing.  You can try to be vigilant while packing stuff up but all it takes is a couple of seconds of attention elsewhere and someone innocently or intentionally blocking the view of a specimen and it's gone.

• I found this Informative 1