gdsfossil

New to the sport.  Found these yesterday at Calvert Cliffs and along the Potomac River.  Big debate was weather the largest piece was bark that had been replaced by iron of if it was just a clump of iron from the bog.  Several larger pieces observed on site in the cliffs and on the beach- some said they were wood;  other just "bog iron".  Please critique or help with id.  Thank you.

photo 1 bone.jpg

photo 1a bones.jpg

photo 1b bone opposite side.jpg

photo 2 worm casing.jpg

photo 4 bark or bog iron.jpg

photo 5 bark bog iron or fish.jpg

photo 5a bark bog iron fish opposite side.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

They are typical iron concretions.

Second to last pic does look "wood" like.

Wait for replies from those familiar with the area.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The first ones are iron stone concretions sometimes called do dads. Indian paint pots is a more researchable term. They sometimes have pyrite left inside them.

The barbecued rib looking ones are ironstone, or bog iron pipes (?). They sometimes follow root traces, but aren't really considered fossils. 

I'm not seeing any wood or bark in your pictures.  I find lots of bog iron in Virginia with wood inclusions.  See the below pictures that show both sides of three pieces of bog iron with wood inclusions:

5c994b193c1d9_BogIronPetrifiedWoodVirginia2.thumb.jpg.f35fe4d55e3d0ca0db85f6cf583e7670.jpg

5c994b4f5f5f8_BogIronPetrifiedWoodVirginia.thumb.JPG.6c30dc36866a1ebd6aaca930ce96ee6e.JPG

I also find bog iron with Pleistocene tracks.  Below is a piece of bog iron with a  Canipeda gracilis footprint (made by a juvenile coyote).

5c994bddcd294_CanidfootprintPleistoceneVirginia.jpg.41697b32e1222bfc01df61987b01669d.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 4

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 weeks later...

The third photo appears to be very much like bronze or copper. It may be the lighting, but it looks like metal to me. 

Bog iron? Cool. Learned something new today. I'm off to research bog iron.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!