fossilsonwheels

Read that title and imagine a cheesy 80's TV commercial from your local furniture store lol We booked 4 more programs which means at least 130 more free fossil start kits will end up in the hands of local kids :) We received a fantastic donation from @Flx of some dinosaur bones, including some chunkasaurus bones. Carter and I decided to match that so we donated some chunkasaurus bones from our Jurassic purchase. We can now mix in dinosaur bones for the kids which is really pretty cool. It is an awesome feeling to see the kids react to getting fossils. It makes all the hard work well worth it. My best guess right now is that by the end of the school year, we will have provided education for over 1,000 kids and given away 500 free fossil kits. We do not have the supplies to give away fossils at the large school wide presentations but that gives us a goal to work towards. 

Another huge thank you to all who have donated fossils and helped us with knowledge and support. We could not do this without all of you !

• I found this Informative 3

This is so cool! I love that you're spreading these fossils to all those kids, because that's what can get people interested in pursuing paleontology or some field in natural sciences in the future.

You're creating the next generation!

22 minutes ago, gieserguy said:

This is so cool! I love that you're spreading these fossils to all those kids, because that's what can get people interested in pursuing paleontology or some field in natural sciences in the future.

You're creating the next generation!

Thank you very much. That is what we are hoping to spark for sure. Plus it is just super fun !

I am happy that I could help making more kids interested in dinosaur fossils. :)

One remark:
You can label the fragments "Camarasaurus sp." instead of "chunkosaurus" with a very high certainty.
The bone fragments that I sent you can obviously not be identified by looking at them. However, in this special case it is still possible to tell that all fragments are Camarasaurus. This is from an animal of which about 10% of the bones have been recovered (all recovered bones are from the same animal). The remaining 90% of the bones are missing or are extremly fragmented since they were exposed to the surface and to erosion for some time. What I sent you are some of these surface bone fragments.

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/27/2019 at 12:37 AM, Flx said:

I am happy that I could help making more kids interested in dinosaur fossils. :)

One remark:
You can label the fragments "Camarasaurus sp." instead of "chunkosaurus" with a very high certainty.
The bone fragments that I sent you can obviously not be identified by looking at them. However, in this special case it is still possible to tell that all fragments are Camarasaurus. This is from an animal of which about 10% of the bones have been recovered (all recovered bones are from the same animal). The remaining 90% of the bones are missing or are extremly fragmented since they were exposed to the surface and to erosion for some time. What I sent you are some of these surface bone fragments.

Thank you for that very helpful information @Flx . The kids are really going to enjoy handling fossils that we can say with some certainty are a sauropod. That makes it even better. The fossils have their debut in two weeks when we resume dinosaur programs :)