Odd Pennsylvanian Plant Thing

Shamalama

This is a odd thing I found a few specimens of while searching around the St. Clair fern site. All are oval shaped (probably due to the rock deformation during uplift) and look like a pucker on the rock with little pin around the edge. Sizes are not consistent not are associations. Any clues on what this might be? Seed or root cross section maybe? Three examples below:

post-1408-12547540377236_thumb.jpg post-1408-12547540555379_thumb.jpg

post-1408-12547540611608_thumb.jpg post-1408-12547540684058_thumb.jpg

post-1408-12547540752813_thumb.jpg post-1408-12547540830601_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Stem cross-section (or impression thereof)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a odd thing I found a few specimens of while searching around the St. Clair fern site. All are oval shaped (probably due to the rock deformation during uplift) and look like a pucker on the rock with little pin around the edge. Sizes are not consistent not are associations. Any clues on what this might be? Seed or root cross section maybe? Three examples below:

It looks like cross-section of thin stem. Look on my specimen

post-814-12547679325353_thumb.jpgpost-814-12547679519888_thumb.jpgpost-814-12547679609299_thumb.jpg

Another possible version thin stigmaria cross-section, but less likely. Anyway interesting finds.

Shamalama.....It is a cross section or possibly the position on the stem, where a node occurs, a branch intersection.... I was trying to locate a decent example to photograph, but I cant seem to lay my hands on one... so heres a partial....you can see where I have marked the stem would of continued....

post-1630-12548181821166_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I managed to locate a couple of examples showing the 'node' shape, off the stem.....

post-1630-12548325937227_thumb.jpg post-1630-12548326066274_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

So it would be a side node kind of thing? That could make sense... maybe as the plant grew the lower branches died or broke off and it sloughed off the node later. That would explain why there is not any extension through the rock as a branch or stem might show. Interesting... and it's another piece of the puzzle with understanding the paleobiology. :):)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/