Tried a new spot this weekend!

Al Tahan

15 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

@Fossildude19 wow...ha...thanks Tim 

;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Really excellent finds! What time period are these fossils from? 

I've never seen or heard of someone finding any fish remains at DSR, but given the wide biodiversity of the site I always considered it a possibility. Big congratulations. It seems like every year new species are added to the list of what has been found there. What will be next? Plant remains, by the way, are common both at DSR and Briggs Road, leading one to guess that probably both of these sites are comprised of sediments deposited not far offshore.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, thebluecatapilla said:

Really excellent finds! What time period are these fossils from? 

Middle Devonian Hamilton Group, Moscow Formation, Windom Shale.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I've never seen or heard of someone finding any fish remains at DSR, but given the wide biodiversity of the site I always considered it a possibility. Big congratulations. It seems like every year new species are added to the list of what has been found there. What will be next? Plant remains, by the way, are common both at DSR and Briggs Road, leading one to guess that probably both of these sites are comprised of sediments deposited not far offshore.

I agree. It’s definitely a near shore environment. What I find fascinating is the change in trilobite abundance’s between the sites. I know dipleura prefers more sandy environments. I don’t really know the greenops and Eldredgeops preferences....greenops are uncommon in the buffalo deposits but Eldredgeops are more common. I wonder if there are publications examining these questions? Greenops is more common st DSR and Eldredgeops is more common at Briggs rd. Both show evidence of near shore deposition so somthing else is controlling their preference. I’ve been stewing about it for a few days now. 

That one plant remain I found is pretty odd too. Seems like more than just a “stick” lol. Almost seems like a portion of a thicker plant almost like a tree branch. The gilboa deposits show trees were full grown by the middle Devonian....I wonder if I have the remains of somthing closer to a tree remain vs small plant. I’ll also add I did see plant remains with decent regularity from the wanakah shale in Buffalo but are more common at DSR

Makes me wonder :zzzzscratchchin:

Very interesting, Al. Very interesting. Oh, and about that wedding-planning thing, you've got to get your priorities straight. What they ought to be, I can't say. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds Al. Fyi, though I haven't found any complete ones yet, I have found some Dipleura partials at Briggs.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Dipleura have been found in the Windom, specifically at Penn DIxie, though they are exceedingly uncommon. I personally have never seen a shred of one at the site, but several friends who have been collecting the site far longer than I have shown me smaller examples that they have found. I've not seen anything to indicate that they reached the same sizes. This can also be said about the Eldredgeops rana. We have them in abundance, but not the sizes that are found at other locations less commonly. It is my personal belief, based on simple observation rather than empirical evidence, that the Windom represented at the PD site was almost like a nursery environment for certain species. Fewer predators represented, smaller sizes, and frequent, massive molt plates.

And yes, there are sticks, lol.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Recently I've seen more larger plant remains from DSR that look like tree branches. The presence of forests in the Catskill Delta to the  east of DSR is well documented. I have an imprint of a large tree stump in my collection I found at Gilboa many years ago.

I have found quite a lot of plant material at Penn Dixie over the years but I have only ever found two small fragments of dipleura cephalon and that was many years ago when the main excavation area was vastly different than it is now. My opinion we found much more multiples and the productive layer was actually thicker.

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

I have found quite a lot of plant material at Penn Dixie over the years but I have only ever found two small fragments of dipleura cephalon and that was many years ago when the main excavation area was vastly different than it is now. My opinion we found much more multiples and the productive layer was actually thicker.

That is absolutely the case. The area we've been working into the past few years is definitely pinching out. Not nearly as much of the goodies as before. But... that being said, a little birdie told me that there might be better options this year ;)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA